Chapter 13: Smoke in the Lungs

Chapter 13: Smoke in theLungs.

Cole woke up but refused to open his eyes. He'd welcomed the extra rest happily. The last week had been restless. Angel normally started by sleeping in his guest room but almost always ended up stealing Coles covers. It felt weird sleeping in his bed with a man- never less a man who he'd only been on one date with. Angel seemed more used to it- explaining after a few days that he normally crawled into bed with Rudy or Matt when he was having a hard time sleeping.

Cole had been slightly jealous when Angel told him that but understood that it wasn't his place to be upset. He hadn't known Angel when the boy fell into his friends' arms. Now, Cole had sworn to always be there if Angel needed him. All this thinking of Angel reminded Cole that he should be curled up at the edge of his mattress. Cole reached an arm out- expecting it to fall on the punk's shoulder. It fell on empty sheets.

Fear swelled in Coles gut, the memory of Angel running off blacked out any calm that was within Cole. His eyes flashed open and he looked around in panic. His eyes landed on Angel sitting on the floor with his hand hanging out the window, a cigg in his fingers.

"Christ" Cole sighed loudly and rubbed his face with his hand.

"You alright?" Angel asked, small puffs of smoke bypassing his lips.

"yeah" Cole said, "I just- thought"

"I took off again?" Angel asked, finishing Coles thought.

"Yeah" Cole chuckled, "I don't know why I'm just afraid you'll run off again and I'll find you in the hospital again"

Angel laughed, his rich voice sending tingles down Coles spine, he looked fondly at the punk- who crushed the end of his fag on the ash tray leaning on the window sill. Angel pushed himself up off the ground and Coles eyes trailed him as he stalked over to the bed. He plopped down next to Cole and hovered over the Jock.

"Have some faith" Angel whispered- his face so close to Coles that Cole could smell the smoke residue on Angels breath.

"I do" Cole assured, "I'm just being possessive"

"Didn't know you were so attached to me" Angel teased.

"Don't be an ass" Cole retorted and the grin that spread out on Angels lips was dazzling. Angel sat up straight and snickered. Cole let one hand rest on one of Angels knees and the punk looked at the jock.

"I need some air" Angel suddenly said, and Cole nodded.

"Do you wanna go somewhere?" Cole asked, "if you know where you want to go we can take my car"

"What, like a second date?" Angel questioned.

"Sure" Cole shrugged, "we stayed in for the first one- why not go on an adventure. You probably know all the good hiding spots in this town"

"Oh yeah" Angel smirked, "We can go get real lost"

"As long as we are back for dinner- mom would kill us if we just up and went MIA for a night" Cole finally sat up and rested his back on the headboard. He was still in his PJ's- a pair of plaid flannel pants and a light gray shirt. Angel was in some of Coles sweat pants and the shirt he'd left there when he showed up in the rain that day almost two months ago.

"Yeah- I know somewhere cool" Angel nodded to himself and stood up- putting his hands on his hips. His shirt hiked up a bit and Cole glued his eyes to Angel. Angel grabbed his phone from the night stand and scrolled through his notification- unaware of Coles gaze locked on his every move, "So let's eat and then we need to get going"