Chapter 10-Wrong

Chapter 10:

•Carl•

I walked behind Joslyn as she lingered to the other side of the house, getting stopped by a forceful hand on my shoulder.

Great...

I peered over my shoulder, seeing the bloodied hand of my dad.

"Son..."

I returned to look foreword, shoving his hand from my shoulder by jutting my shoulder up. I didn't see his reaction, although he was probably upset.

He didn't care...why should you?

I kept walking as the muddy grass stretched out in front of me. I didn't see Joslyn at first, then I saw her faint outline that was trapped by fog to see. She sat on the edge of the cracked concrete road and her knees were up to her chest, failing, as she threw pebbles on the road.

Okay, you have two choices, Carl: one, is don't talk to her, and just leave her alone, yet your dad might be waiting to talk to you. Eh, I thought.
The other option is to sit down next to her and talk to her even though you just stabbed her mother, and she just might want to strangle you for it...

You still cared about Joslyn; not your dad.

I'll take my chances.

I hovered over to her, trying to be silent as I went, yet every step I took, I stepped on the stale leaves.

"Joslyn?..."

Her hand was about to throw another pebble, yet it set itself on the ground at Joslyn's side. Her glare was quickly directed towards me. I shuffled back, throwing my hands up gently, and I took caution.

I expected her to start freaking and maybe even punching me, yet she just took a sigh and left her glare for me to only remember.

I remember the first time she looked at me. I described her eyes as copper, and she described mine as blue. Except, I kept my nickname for her to myself. Now I couldn't even get eye contact for a simple second, and in the past 22 hours, I tried to kill her, and I killed her mom. That copper killed me.

It hasn't even been a week.

"Hey, Grimes."
I heard her mutter through her skin as her mouth stuck to her arms that were folded upon her knees.

I swallowed, licking my lips as I sat in front of her. I only saw her eyes over her arm, looking like a deep sun that just rose over a hill. Her blonde locks fell in front, lining her face makingher look even more beautiful, and her messy, waved ponytail came over her shoulder.

"Your dad was right."
I heard her mutter.

I remembered that he was probably still waiting for me to return to where he stood. I already knew what he was going to tell me-and he might have been right about Joslyn's family-but for this, he was wrong.

"He was fucking right."

She bit her bottom lip as her eyes filled with tears and turned a bright pink on the outline of her cornea. She laid on the ground, looking up at the trees and her back stuck to the ground as the grass traced her out line. Her arms outstretched to her sides and her fingers spread like entwining branches from a tree. Her stomach was lifted with every subtle breath she took.

"He's probably right about everything."

She's no good.
You can't be in love with her, she's leaving.
She's going to die anyway...

I thought of all the possible things my dad was going to say.

"No-"

My voice cracked and she wiped her eyes.

"Yes, Carl. He was already right about- that. I even witnessed it with my own two eyes and he still managed to read right through me."
"If you saw it happen, why were you so shocked?"

I questioned her. She bit her lip, pulling grass individually from the ground and throwing them back.

"Our wasted youth isn't youth anymore...just wasted. We don't know anything and all we will ever be is wrong. Your dad is the one who's right..."
"He's not."

I said sternly.

"You have a dad, don't you?"

I asked as she replied with a simple not and a sniffle.

"Good. He's apart of your family."

She had a half smirk on her face, realizing I was right, then it dropped.

Her mom and dad were probably together, asshole.

i wanted to comfort her. I know what it's like to lose someone so close to you. I reached for her hand, seeing the perfect chance as her fingers were still apart. She flinched.

"I-I'm sorry, Carl..."

She shuffled back, standing up as she headed back to the group. I saw Maggie give her a hug and she headed off, leaving me sitting on the rocky, scorching concrete.

He's wrong...I know it.

I tried to look up at the sky, trying to try what Joslyn said did. I looked up.

Where are you, Wish Granter?

All I saw were clouds, laying on the blue blanket that he hid behind.

Are you going to show me?

I saw no one.
Who was she talking to?
No one.
Who was she believing in?
No one.
Who was right?
No one.
-
HELLO. I JUST WANTED TO THANK YOU ALL ON HOW MANY READS I HAVE GOTTEN AND I HAVE ONLY HAD THIS UP FOR ABOUT 5 DAYS! I HAVE AN AMAZING TIME WRITING THIS AND IT'S SO EXCITING WHEN I GET NEW IDEAS AND HEAR YOUR FEEDBACK!
LETS GET TO 1K BY CHAPTER 12!
LOVE YOU ALL!
-
~c.j.