CHAPTER ELEVEN

Nev hoped for the best. Max was his best friend. These past few days, they both had gotten to know Lucy. She was a fantastic girl. Nev could picture spending time with her and Max all the time. Lucy was an understanding girl. Lord knew, she had forgiven a lot in the brief time they had known her.
           The only hang up Nev could foresee was her needing more time. The day of her breakup with a guy she had been in love with for six months was not ideal. But it truly was now or never for Max. He couldn't just go visit her randomly after filming. No. He needed to tell Lucy how he felt. Air his thoughts, doubts, and emotions. Let her decide. Nev was confident it would work out. One way or another.

****************

           Max knocked on the door. His mind raced with possibilities. She could say no, be offended at his forwardness. She could be too shook up from the Jeff situation. She might need some time to think. The door opened halfway and Lucy's face peeked through. When she saw Max looking back at her, the door swing wide open. Lucy appeared to melt. She dropped her guard. Shoulders fell. Back slouched. Her face took on a look of exhaustion. She rested her arm on the doorframe.
         "Hey." Even her voice sounded like it had been through a lot these past few days.
          "Hey back," Max replied.
          Lucy moved to the side to let Max enter her room. She closed the door behind him. As soon as she turned around, Max was in front of her, arms opened wide. "You look like you need a hug," Max pointed out the obvious. He gave her a small smile as she closed the short distance between them. He squeezed her tight. After a moment or two, Lucy pulled back and thanked Max.
          "Was that the only reason for stopping by?" she teased him. She gestured to the only chair in the room, inviting Max to sit. She made herself comfortable on the edge of her bed, sitting Indian style.
         Max walked over to the mini bar. He grabbed himself a beer and offered another to Lucy. "You also look like you could one of these." She accepted and easily twisted off the cap. She took a long swig as Max sat in the chair across from her.
          "I came to have a chat actually," Max told her. "I wanted to know how you were feeling."
          "I'm feeling fine. Just tired. The past few days have been kind of crazy."
           "To say the least," Max joked.
           "I'm glad it's all over. I can go back to reality. And now I know what part of my life is reality and what's not." Lucy picked at the label on her beer bottle.
          Max mustered up his courage. He broached the topic he had come for. "Think you'll start dating anytime soon?" He watched to gauge her reaction.
          Lucy stopped picking at the label. She took another drink from the bottle. "I don't know," she finally answered. She looked Max in the eyes. "I feel kind of bad about something. Do you mind if I tell you? And will you keep it just between us?"
           "Absolutely." Max sat up straight.
           "Okay. So as soon as you guys told me 'Jordan' wasn't the guy in the pictures, it was like we were already over. My brain just clicked. It was as if we had broken up. By the time we got here, I was over him. It was painful and awkward, like meeting up with your ex. But my heart wasn't in it anymore. I had already moved on when we met Jeff.... It sounds pretty heartless, I know." Lucy looked down and fidgeted with her nails. Her hair fell in front of her face.
           "It's not heartless. Catfish-ing someone, that is heartless. Listen." Max pushed Lucy's hair back and tucked it behind her ear. He gently put his thumb under her chin and tilted her face to meet his. "This situation you are in is unlike anything else. There is nothing to compare to it. You're not going to react the same way you would with a regular break up. However you react is how you should have."
          "I don't know." Lucy shook her head. "I just feel bad for not really being that heartbroken about it. I feel bad for Jeff. But I'm not mourning his loss."
           "That's good. You are a reasonable person. You knew this was a possibility. I think you did what you were trying to- hold your emotions back, at least to a certain extent... Lucy. I think you are one of the best people I have ever met. You are so strong. You are fun and loving. You care so much about everyone around you." Max was beginning to ramble. He was speaking too quickly- his nerves getting the better of him.
           "Thanks, Max." Lucy took another long drink.
           "So... You said you had already moved on by the time you met Jeff," Max smiled as he said it. "Who did you move on to?"
           Lucy threw her head back in feigned frustration. "No! I just.. I meant... You know what I meant." Lucy was smiling from ear to ear.
            Laughing, Max moved to the edge of the bed with Lucy. "I think you meant what you said. Who? You can tell me." He poked her side. Lucy let out a yelp and jumped. Seeing how ticklish she was, Max continued tickling her sides. Lucy laughed uncontrollably and, in an attempt to escape, slipped onto the floor. Max followed her retreat until he was on top of her. Once he realized the position they were in, Max stopped tickling her and froze in place. Max was straddling her- the best position for a tickle attack, but also a very intimate position to find yourself in.       Lucy looked up at him, breathless from dying of laughter.
           "I meant, you had already caught my complete and total attention," Lucy whispered.
            Max beamed down at her. "I'm glad to hear that. I came to your room tonight to tell you how much I care about you and want to explore a relationship with you."
            "How convenient," Lucy remarked.
            On that note, Max leaned down and kissed her.