Week Two

June 5th

Tintinnabulation. n.

The ringing or sound of bells.

*Edgar Allan Poe coined this playful word  in his poem "Bells." It's so much fun to say!

June 6th

Ubiquitous. adj.

Existing or being everywhere, esp. at the same time; omnipresent.

*I learned this from Christopher Paolini, while reading one of his Inheritance books (I think it was Eldest) years ago.

June 7th

Immure. v.

1. To enclose within walls.

2. To shut in; seclude or confine.

3. To imprison.

4. To build into or entomb in a wall.

5. Obsolete. To surround with walls; fortify.

***Immurement is a brutal form of execution in which the victim is walled up in a room to die slowly from starvation, lack of air, etc.. Kind of like being buried alive. Pretty macabre, huh

June 8th

Malachite. n.

A light to dark green carbonate mineral used as a source for copper and ornamental stonework.

June 9th

Incursion. n.

1. A raid or incsion into foreign territory.

2. The act of entering another's territory or domain.

3. The act of entering or running into.

June 10th

Jadeite. n.

A rare, valuable gem, usu. emerald to light green in color, often used in carving and decoration.

***I chose the previous three words from the fourth book in Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series, Wielding a Red Sword. The story features the man who becomes the Incarnation of War (Mars). If you haven't picked up the Incarnation series, I'd highly recommend that you do so; if you don't enjoy the stories themselves, you'll certainly learn quite a few new words.

Or you could just stay tuned here. Or both. Your choice.

June 11th

Vert. n.

1. Green forest vegetation, esp. when forming cover or providing food for deer

2. The right or privilege (as in England) of curring living wood or sometimes of pasturing animals in a forest.

3. The heraldic color green.