16) The Dreaded Confession

I can’t believe what I’m seeing right now. This is crazy, I’ve got to be imagining things…

Before Carter got down the stairs, I heard a familiar voice, and I couldn’t help myself as the sound compelled me to stumble down the stairs seamlessly, not caring what would come of the very bottom.

And, now here I am, staring at a fucking ghost.

“The myth. The legend. Piper Mayes? Come here, girl!” She smiles excitedly, rushing over to pull me into a tight, extremely overdue hug. I immediately wrap my arms around her, missing her hugs.

“Rebecca! What the hell are you doing here?” I exclaim, pulling away from the hug, not able to wipe away the huge smile on my face.

“Heard you were chillin’ with “The Crew” again. Figured it had to be something serious. I was already looking for you, and I figured, if I really wanted to find you, I’d start here.” She grins, shrugging her shoulders modestly.

I couldn’t help, but laugh a little at her tone when she said “The Crew”. She said it like they were some immaculate concept of my imagination. Like how people say things when they’re pretending to be scared or intimidated. I can’t blame her, though. She’s only ever heard of them. Many, many stories. But, she’s never actually met them.

“You were looking for me. What for?” I ask curiously, furrowing my brows at her.

“Okay, yeah, hi. Don’t mean to break up the love fest, here, but I’d kind of like to know what the fuck is going on in my fucking house.” Carter growls impatiently.

I whirl around, and glare at him, crossing my arms over my chest. “Excuse me?” I snap at him.

He throws his hand up over his face, dragging it down slowly before muttering “Nothing. I said absolutely nothing.” He sighs, and I can tell he’s annoyed.

“Wait. You’re kidding. Him?” Rebecca asks, pointing a finger at Carter, giving me a questioning look.

“Yupp. That’s the one.” I smile, turning back to her, and shrugging my shoulders.

“What about me?” Carter asks, taking a step over to me, and throwing his hands on my waist.

I figure now’s a good time to explain, I guess…

“Rebecca and I went to high school together before I switched over to La Vernia sophomore year. We were best friends. Then, I transferred here, and we lost contact. Then, we met up again just after I left to form my own crew, and now I guess she’s been looking for me. Caught up, now?” I explain, sliding my hands down to cover his.

“So, what are you doing, working with Dave?” Carter asks, confused.