Chapter One

Death.

 That was how my seventeenth birthday began. With the death of my parents. Tragic. Depressing. I know. I was there. I remember the funeral like it was just yesterday. It was the worst day of my life and it started a whole chain of horrible days to come.

 My name is Vitani Carin. And my parents were Janila and Jack Carin. I was an only child and I am now going to go live with a grandmother I had never met before. My friend Calita invited me to stay with her but I couldn't. I don't know why. But, for some reason, I couldn't.

 "Vitani! Your ride's here!" Calita walked into the bedroom.

 I looked up and smiled, but didn't say anything as I stood up. I hadn't spoken a word since my parents had died. And I didn't plan to. Not for a very long time.

 "Vitani, you can't keep this up forever," Calita said, dark blue eyes narrowed.

 I arched an eyebrow at her, crossing my arms. Calita sighed. "Okay, maybe you can. But I doubt your grandmother will let you."

 I uncrossed my arms and made the signs for I can just use sign language then.

 Calita sighed again. "And what if your grandmother doesn't know sign language? How are you to communicate then? I can assure you they won't get you a translator. Besides, you can speak. I know that."

 But I am deaf. At least partially. You also know that.

 Calita sighed. "Yes, I know. How is it right now? Not too bad I hope."

 I shook my head before signing no, it's okay.

 Calita smiled. "I'm glad. Now, you have to go. She's waiting." Calita walked closer to me and wrapped her arms around me. "You know I don't want you to go. If you ever need me, call me. I'll be up there as soon as possible."

 I stepped back and smiled, nodding. I know. Thank you, Calita.

 Calita smiled and quickly signed you're welcome.

 I grinned. "Since you have proved you can speak my language I will speak yours, while my hearing is holding out."

 Calita smiled. "Thank you. You do know you aren't really deaf, right? You have noise anxiety."

 I shrugged. "I know that. And you know that. But my grandmother doesn't know that. Nor does she need to."

 Calita rolled her eyes. "You have a very screwed up sense of logic. You know that, right?"

 I crossed my arms and jutted my hip out to the side. "And your point would be. . .what exactly?"

 Calita shrugged, looking around the room. I got the feeling she was just doing that not to meet my gaze. I sighed internally, deciding to change the subject. Calita could be impossible when she didn't want to talk about something. "How is your brother going to deal with my leaving?"

 Calita looked at me, a smile playing on her lips. "You mean Andre? My brother, your boy toy."

 I shrugged. "Yeah. That one." I shot her an annoyed look. "And he's not my 'boy toy', thank you very much. I love him."

 Calita's smiled disappeared. "Yeah, I know. And he's not taking it well. He loves you, but you know that. Why would he want you to leave?"

 I walked past her over to her bed and picked up my bag, slinging it over my shoulder and letting it settle against my hip. I didn't want to think about what my leaving would be doing to Andre. I didn't much want to think about what it was doing to me, either.