Chapter 6

Darien's POV:

I was furious. Another guard tried shooting at me and I charged him with a snarl before snapping his neck. I had promised Serena I would make a distraction. Killing anyone who fired at me should be a sufficient distraction. Well over forty lay dead at this point and fools still kept trying to attack me.

The small caliber bullets that did manage to hit me were barely annoyances and they swiftly healed. They didn't truly want to kill me since I was of more use to them alive. Their favorite electric weapon was no worse than a mild electric shock. It could no longer take me down. My strength still seemed to be increasing. I could have easily outrun and evaded them, but I wanted to hold their attention to give Serena more time to escape.

Serena... The bond twisted my heart, we had been separated much too soon. The soulbond had truly formed when we finally touched, but it had barely started settling when we were separated. Had we been back home, everyone would have given us several days to allow the bond to settle. This was not how it was supposed to happen.

Being parted from her enraged me. I would kill any who dared to interfere with the bond or tried to separate me from her. These men were trying to separate us and that was the biggest mistake they could ever make. The bond itself was a driving force as it demanded to be reunited with Serena and I was in full agreement with it.

The idiots kept trying to surround me. Did they not realize that it was not going to work any better than their last thirty attempts? I snorted in derision at their foolish persistence.

A voice called, "Give up Darien and come with us quietly." I snarled as I recognized the voice as Dr. Halbert, the repulsive man in charge of the research in the lab. Him, I wouldn't mind killing just for revenge. I narrowed my eyes at him as he started walking through the rows of soldiers.

I growled and crouched as I got ready to charge in his direction. He held up an ipad, "Not so fast Darien, you wouldn't want any harm to come to this lovely lady now, would you?"

The image on the screen caused an involuntary roar of rage to rip out of my throat. It was a picture of Serena lying halfway curled up on a blanket in the back of a vehicle. Her hair was swirled around her head as her eyes were closed. Her clothing was evidence that it was not an older picture.

My vision went red and my muscles trembled in my fury as I shouted, "What did you do to her?!"

Dr. Halbert sounded far too smug, "Just a light tranquilizer. She will wake in a couple of hours." His voice took on a convincing tone, "Give yourself up peacefully. If you cooperate, she can even stay in your room. It would be a terrible thing if she woke up in a strange place and you weren't around. The van is already on its way back to the lab with her inside."

They had her. The savages had caught her. It was bad enough for me to be in that place and I had been strong enough to prevent them from really doing anything to me. I refused to think about what they may do to her in that hellhole. If they were dragging her to that place, then I would follow. I would bust both of us out. I would not make the mistake of letting us get separated again.

The easiest way to get in was to let them take me back. Letting them close to me was a test to my control. My kind hated physical contact from other races, and direct skin contact with a different race was somewhat painful for some reason. Contact was barely tolerated even from other Tarulk. It was even uncomfortable for those who chose their own mates. Only soulmates were exempt from the discomfort of physical contact. Further proof of what Serena was to me.

This bunch knew I hated being touched and I had broken many arms to reinforce that fact. They had no idea about soulmates, so who knew what theory they would come up with after seeing me with Serena. With a restrained growl, I reluctantly stood up out of my crouch.

One of the guards cautiously approached with a thick pair of steel wrist restraints. I hid a smirk, those restraints may have held me in the past, but my new strength was a force to be reckoned with. This piece of metal wouldn't stand a chance once I decided I wanted it off.

He was smart enough to wear gloves as I let him put the cuffs on me. A van drove up and the guard stood back to let me walk into the fortified holding area on my own. The door was barred and locked behind me.