1.

My name is India Whitfeld. I'm seventeen. I may look normal, but don't try to spark a conversation with me; it won't last long.

I don't speak, like, ever. Well, I used to.

My father was a great man who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He didn't kill those men, and I know because I was there. But no one puts and eight year old girl on the stand in court, do they? My father, whom I was very close to, was wrongly convicted and his punishment was unfortunately the death penalty.

My mother didn't like me much. She favored my older sister, Alice: who was touring Europe with her band when my father passed. My 29 year old sister is happily married with three kids and my mother liked that. I don't think my sister's family was the only thing she liked, though.

Actually, most friends of my sister are in it for Alice's fortune.

People used to try an use me, too. My sister is the fabulous Alice Whitfeld, everyone wanted to be friends with her; and the only way to do that would be to get me and climb the ladder from there. However, no one could survive a relationship without speaking, and none of them were willing to learn sign language. Needless to say, I don't have friends.

It's summer, my favorite season. I love the grass, and the sky-I just love summer.

Mom's out in the studio with Alice, so I'm home alone. I would be babysitting Ali's kids, except I don't talk.

I decide to get dressed and go out for a bike ride, I mean, its a nice day out. I put on my high waisted, bleach-wash shorts and a pastel, floral crop top with short sleeves. I tug on my baby pink Converse and put my hair into a long, relaxed braid that falls over my shoulder. I drag my pink bike from the garage to outside, and start riding around my neighborhood.

"Hey!" Some guys shout. "Wait up!" I stop and raise an eyebrow at them. They run over to me.

"Hey, are you Alice Whitfeld's sister?" One of them pants.

I nod.

"Wait, what's your name?" Another asks, catching his breath.

I sign my name in hopes he knows sign language.

"What?" The first one asks.

I pull out my phone and go to my notes, then type India.

"Oh, hi, Hannah," the second one says. "I'm Luke. Are you...sick or something?"

I shake my head no.

"Oh, I just thought..." his voice trails off.

I don't speak, I type.

"So you're mute?" Luke interrogates.

I shake my head no again. I voluntarily remain silent.

"You seem smart," a third one speaks up. "I'm Michael."

"Oh, hi, I'm Ashton," the first one giggles.

I wave hello. I should go, but I'll see you around? I typed.

"Oh, we're only here for a few days," Luke explains. "We're in a band, and we're just here on tour."

Oh, cool. What band?

"Five Seconds of Summer," Michael replies. I nod and smile to show I'm impressed.

"Here, do you want my number?" Luke asks. I nod and hand him my phone, and he types in his number.

"Well, bye," Michael says.

"It was nice meeting you," Ashton called as the walked off, and I continued to ride my bike after putting my phone in my back pocket.

* * * * * *

"Oh!" Alice exclaimed, rushing over to hug me. "How are you?"

Fine. You? I signed.

"I'm great!" She piped. "Recorded a few amazing songs in the studio, and now I'm happy to be back home with my babies."

You have another album coming?

"Yeah, this year!"

Cool.

"So what's new with you?"

Not much. Nothing, really. I met a guy today and he gave me his number.

"You should text him! He knows you don't talk, right?"

Yeah, he does. I don't know if I should text him. Maybe.

"Dee, I miss seeing you happy. You used to be so happy. Happiest girl I'd ever met. I wish you'd go back to that," Ali says, giving me a quick hug.