25

It was decided that night what we would do. We had talked it over for hours until the sun began to rise. We were both in agreement. If Cheryl and I came into this world together, then we were going to leave this world together.

Cheryl and I stood beside each other in the changing rooms at Riverdale High, waiting for Veronica and Betty to come in. We had our uniforms neatly folded, ready to hand them over. The girls came in, apologising for being late.

"All you missed was our abdication." I said, smiling. Both girls looked confused at they looked at us.

"The Vixens are in the gym awaiting you, their new Director X, and Director V." We handed over our uniforms to the stunned pair. Cheryl moved to talk to Veronica, where as I moved to Betty. I handed her my top, my red lipstick resting on top.

"These are for you, Betty, as a thank you. This also come with co-captain of the River Vixens." She asked if I needed anything and I said I was fine. She gave me a hug. I took this opportunity to whisper in her ear:

"Take care of Jug." Then I walked off with Cheryl.

Jughead had been trying to talk to me all day. Just before we walked out at the end of the day, he stopped me. Cheryl smiled, waiting patiently for me. I didn't say anything to him, I couldn't say anything to him. I just pressed my lips to his. Whistles were heard around us, but I didn't care. This would be my last kiss with Jughead Jones. Cheryl had given him her broach. But I had given him my heart. When he was least expecting it, I pulled away, hurrying outside with Cheryl, Jughead too shocked to move. Just as Cheryl began driving to Thornhill, I saw him run outside.

There had been rumours going around that someone had written on Betty's locker and Jughead had taken her away from it. The other rumours were that he was cheating on me with her, that how she got all the news on FP and was fighting so hard to get him free. It just confirmed that we were never meant to last.

Cheryl and I didn't go to school the next day. Instead we got ready. I sent the text, Cheryl sent hers, then left with Cheryl. We would finally be with Jason again.

Jughead POV

I was sat on the car, looking at Betty. I had gone to Southside, wanting to go where I belonged the most. Cynthia wasn't speaking to me and it wasn't just because of her grief. I fear that it was because we were losing feelings for each other, or she was. I loved her. I hadn't said it yet, but I did. I truly and whole-heartedly loved her. She, Cynthia Blossom, consumed my every thought, all the time.

"I'm worried about Cynthia," Betty expressed. Archie and Veronica were a few metres behind us, knowing that Betty wanted to speak to me.

"Why would you say that?" I was too. She never ignored me. It was one of the many perks about her, her red phone was always in her hand, and she always saw messages. I knew something was wrong the minute she wouldn't let me touch her at the garage.

"She gave up her co-captain spot for me, and gave me her lipstick."

"Maybe she just doesn't feel like cheer anymore, Betty." Cynthia never like cheer anyway. In fact, she never spoke about her practises because they weren't important to her, not like it was to Cheryl, so when Betty said this it didn't surprise me. Her lipstick, however, was different. She always wore it. It was her signature shade and the brand expensive, so she could kiss me without me having red stains of embarrassment.

"She told me to look after you Jug, I think she's going to do something stupid. Veronica agrees with me." That worried me. Cynthia was always protective, worried that another girl would turn my head. Those were the last words I was expecting her to say. She told Betty to look after me, pushing her towards me as she pushed herself away. I opened my mouth to reply as I got a text message.

"I love you, J. And I'm sorry?" I asked, reading the message out loud. She looked at me confused. Cynthia had sent it too me.

"Guys. We have to go!" Veronica shouted. This wasn't good.

Cynthia POV

Even though the bitter cold kissed my bare skin, I felt nothing. Gentle and pure snow that coated the wooded floor was thick, so thick that it came above our ankles. My sister held my hand as we made our way to Sweetwater River. Our skin was already as white as our dresses by the time we came upon the frozen water. Ignoring the cracks, we stepped forward, embracing our destinies, ready for what was to come.

"You ready?" Cheryl asked me, turning to face me for the first time since we set off from Thornhill.

"I'm with you." With those three words, spoken between siblings on the ice, we dropped to our knees and began pounding on the only thing keeping us alive. Together, our combined force sent multiple cracks through the ice. We were so close to being with Jason again.

Behind us I heard the calls of our names, but we were too close to turn back now; this was our only option. They got louder but neither of us moved nor did we turn to them.

"Cheryl!"

"Cynthia!"

"Stop! What are you doing!"

The sound of cracking ice halted our actions. We knew we had been found. I locked eyes with my sister, our tears identical; our pain shared.

"Cheryl!"

"Cynthia!"

"Cheryl please!" Veronica called. My sister stood up slowly as I continued to relentlessly pound on the ice. If they made it to us before it broke, everything would be for nothing. Cheryl stood and turned to face the small party of rescuers on the bank. Why was it always them that showed up? Why couldn't it have been Jason?

"Cynthia!" That voice caused my head to snap up and meet his desperate gaze. His eyes were pleading and terrified. Even through my tears I could read his expression from there.

"Come to the shore and we'll figure this out together okay?" Veronica called again. I stood to join my sister, not taking my eyes off the dancing cracks beneath us until I stood right beside her. My hand found hers.

"Thia! I can't lose you! I love you..." The boy in the beanie pleaded. We both sent the group a sad smile. Then rushing bone-chilling water enveloped us.