Chapter One

Neutral Zone 

Helen Chapman

CHAPTER ONE

The revelry from Bourbon Street fading, the only sounds she could hear were their footsteps on the sidewalk. He had started one hell of a fight in Pat O'Brien's place around an hour ago, and she still wasn't speaking to him. The only reason she was still with him was that they had been married twelve years, and it had become more habit than necessity.

'I still don't see why you make such a big deal out of my wanting another drink,' he said, finally breaking a silence that had lasted what seemed like hours.

'I'm trying to keep your sorry ass alive.' Louise bit off her words. 'If you're too blind or blind drunk to realize that, I just won't be a party to it. If you want to sit and drink yourself into a stupor, that's up to you. I just don't want anything to do with it, or with you, when you're like that.'

Charles Taylor scowled. Every time she mentioned his drinking, he became furious. Their argument continued as they crossed Canal Street into the Neutral Zone, the wide median that runs along the center of Canal Street, where pedestrians are safe from vehicular traffic, and continued on to their hotel. While she tried to keep her temper under control, it was fast becoming a losing battle.

In the lobby, the desk clerk looked up in amazement at the loudness of their argument, then averted his eyes so they didn't know he had heard anything. 'Good evening, Mr. and Mrs. Taylor. Did you have a pleasant evening?'

Charles gave the desk clerk an evil look and said: 'Yeah, right.' After the door closed in the elevator, he crowded his wife into the corner. 'What the hell is the matter with you, Louise? All you ever do is give me grief. It's not bad enough you make my life at home miserable, but we come to the biggest party city in the world on a business trip, and you give me a ration of shit. What is your problem?'

The elevator doors opened on their floor, and Louise shoved him aside and walked quickly out into the corridor. As she walked towards the door to their room, she said over her shoulder: 'You want to know what my problem is? You. You've been a thorn in my side since the day I married you. I stayed with you for the sake of your kids. Then it was because I felt sorry for you. But no more, Charles. No more. I'm through.'

She fitted the pass card in the lock and pushed the door open. Charles made a beeline for the telephone.  

'Room service please. This is Charles Taylor, room 1526. Send up a six pack of Heineken and a bottle of Jack Black. Yes, that's right. No I won't be needing any sandwiches. Thanks.'

'After all that, and what I just told you, you're still going to drink, Charles?' Louise could feel her anger building. 'Do you have a death wish? You know the doctor said you can't drink. Not with the medication you're taking.'

'But my dear, this is cause for a celebration. You just announced to the whole world in the hallway that you're through with me. I take it that means I can go ahead and file for divorce when we get home, and you won't contest it. Now then, I'm going to take a shower. By the time I come out, the boy should be here with my room service order.'

Louise lit into him before he made it to the bathroom door. 'You bastard. I've known for years you wanted to get rid of me. Why did you have to wait until now to get balls enough to announce it? Every time we get to go anywhere, its one of your lousy business trips. And you always get drunker than a fiddler's bitch. I can never have any fun with you. And do you remember the last time we had sex? I hope you do, cause I sure as hell don't.' She was gaining volume with every word.

Charles continued to gather his things for the shower. He turned, to find her right in his face. Taking her by the shoulders, he shoved her away from him, hard. She fell into the chair by the desk, striking her the side of her face.