Chapter 1; Dakota

I couldn't sleep. I tried so hard, but it was impossible.

There was one thing that wouldn't let me sleep. It was about what was going to happen tomorrow.

The ranking tests.

I knew one thing about these tests, it was that I couldn't fail them. I would have to do all I could to not fail them. If I failed these tests, my father, rather known as Alpha, would be disappointed because he wants me to be Alpha. He wants me to be the son he's always wanted.

A leader.

I'm not a leader. I can try all I want to pretend that I know what I'm doing, but secretly I can't lead...

I don't want to fail the tests. I don't want to see the disappointment in my father's eyes. I've seen those eyes from him many times, and I can barely stand them. All those times we're from me making mistakes, messing up.

Everytime I messed up, Alpha would act like he wasn't my father.

All he's ever wanted me to do is become his son that everyone would love.

The only problem about that is I just can't win his smile. I can't control those times that I make a mistake...

But, I won't let it happen this time. I won't let myself fail those test. I'll do whatever it takes to do them right.

With those last thoughts, I closed my eyes again, and let sleep take me.

Another warm, sunny morning, with the sun shining bright in my eyes. I woke up to the sound of Alpha's howl. Alpha would howl to wake everyone up everyday, so I was used to it.

My ears perked up to the howl and I slowly opened my eyes, because the sun was very bright.

I laid there. I didn't want to get up. I didn't want to take these tests. I made myself get up, because I knew laying here wasn't going to do anything.

I got on all four of my legs, and stretched.

I noticed all the other pack mates were up and looked like they were ready for today, but I didn't.

I tried to cover up my nervousness by looking confident, but in the inside I wasn't. I hoped that it convinced everyone, especially Alpha, that I was ready.

My eyes soon locked on Alpha when he spoke up. "Good morning everyone. I hope those who are going to take the rank tests are prepared for it. It will take place in the meeting area, where we will have set up two ways that will test you all, later today."

I looked at the ground, my head lowered, I didn't feel ready for the tests. Maybe I was and I just didn't feel like it.

I'd forgotten to look confident in the moment.

I noticed Alpha gave me a glare, and I jerked my head back up, so I looked confident again.

I was too focused on thinking about the tests, that I didn't care to listen to the rest of Alpha's announcements.

My thoughts stopped and I heard Alpha finishing his announcements by saying, "I wish luck to those taking the test."

I hope I have luck because I will sure need it.

Everyone soon went back to what they were doing. Some were getting prepared for the tests and some laid back down to rest until the tests.

My attention then turned back to Alpha. I noticed he was coming towards me. I stood tall, trying my best to look confident as confident as possible.

He stopped in front of me. I bowed a little to greet him.

"Are you ready for the tests?" he asked me.

I knew he was going to ask me that. I didn't want him to be mad at me for saying no, so I said with a voice of confidence, "Yes, sir."

I lied. I wasn't ready for the tests at all.

He smiled, "Good."

He gave me a stern look, "Don't let me down, I'm counting on you."

I nodded. I can't let him down.

He soon turned around and walked away.

The tests would be later today and I'd have to be ready for them.