Dark Hours

CHAPTER THREE - Dark Hours

It was the same guy from the bar. He his face was hidden in the shadows, but he gestured towards me impatiently, indicating to me to follow.

I knew it was the dumb thing to do, but curiosity got the better of me.

He led me through the crowd, out the side entrance and into the alley. Let's just see what he had to say.

"You're in danger," he said, when we were alone," Someone's taken out a contract on you, and - "

"A contract?" I asked.

"Someone means to asassinate you."

That got my attention.

"What? Who?" 

"We don't know yet. We're working on it, but your school's not safe any more. I'm here for extraction."

There was no doubt in my mind any more. The Order had found me and sent some heavyweight to toss me over his shoulder and carry me back to them. Well, if that's what they thought, they had another thing coming.

I unsheathed my knives from my wrist holsters and sent them flying towards his eyes. Nothing personal dude. 

He ducked both blades and had me pinned beneath him before I could so much as blink. Damn that was fast! I struggled for a few more seconds before I gave up. It was like wresting with a tree.

During the  - short - fight his hood had slipped back, revealing his face.

 He had dark brown hair and lightly tanned skin, as if he spent all day outside in the sun. He also had high cheekbones (accented by a hint of stubble) and a scar running from his hairline to just underneath his eye -  as if he'd been slashed with a knife. But it was his eyes that gave me pause. Like little chips of emerald shining in the night. The transfixed me, keeping me still.

The sound of a car alarm going off made us both jump, shocking us out of...well, whatever that was.

He stood up and and offered me his hand, which I ignored. I could get up myself, thank you very much. 

He watched me warily.

"I'm not going back to the Order," I stated, "No fucking way."

"It doesn't really matter how you feel about the whole issue. I'm to take you back, and I will. How I do it is up to you."

And with that he dissappeared off down the alley and into the night. Shit.