The Dragon's Tale - Chapter 1 - New Beginnings

The Dragon’s Tale

The whole forest was silent. Not even the tall poplar trees stirred. In a small clearing, deep in the centre of the massive forest, a few of the forest’s inhabitants stood in wander as the egg in the middle of the clearing began to rock gently. Not a single creature moved as the egg’s movement began to be more violent, almost angry. A thin crack began to show along the top of the crisp, white egg.  More and more cracks appeared, until finally, a red, hooked claw poked it’s way out of a hole in the shell.  Small squeaks and grunts could be heard from the inside of the egg as the creature inside worked on breaking more of the shell to free itself. A few seconds later, the shell exploded as the creature burst out in a fumbling of scales, slime and leathery wings. The strange red creature ended up, in a sitting position looking slightly dazed. It looked about itself as it scratched behind its ear with his claw, while also tasting the air with its long, spiked, red tongue. The only sound in the clearing was the sound of the red creature in the centre licking the slime off its hide. All the creatures surrounding the big red thing in the clearing looked on in wander, all frozen in shock. The creature lifted his head up to see his audience. He towered above the smaller forest habitants, even sitting down, and many whimpers escaped from their mouths as he drew himself up proudly. Many of the small rabbits, squirrels and all of the smaller birds ran away as he opened his mouth in a wide yawn, showing all of his many, sharp teeth. Snapping his mouth shut, the red creature stood up, revealing a scale-covered body, with a trail of spikes starting at the back of his head, all along his neck and along its back, ending with his tail, with a triangle spike at its end.

          The red creature, which was about the size of a large dog, walked up to a tall oak tree, and  in that tree there was there was an owl perched on one of the lower branches. The large owl, nodded its head to the red creature that was looking up to the magnificent bird. The owl opened his mouth,

“Welcome, Red One. You have certainly taken your time in getting here, I assume you are hungry?”

          The red creature, not quite sure how to reply, simply nodded his head eagerly.

“Of course, follow me.” And the big bird took off, flying amongst the trees. The red creature followed at an ambling run, stumbling as his legs got used to the new pace. The red creature let out a growl of pleasure as he felt the wind whistle past his ears ar he ran to catch a glimpse of the tail feathers of the owl. The red creatures shook out his wings, letting the wind run underneath them, and fill them with air. Bringing his wings down with force fuelled with pure joy, the red creature felt his talons lift off the ground. As he did it again and again, he felt the ground melt away. He passed through the leafy canopy, into the open air, high into the bright blue sky. Pure pleasure coursed through the red creature’s body as he flew above the trees. That pure joy and happiness let itself out in a massive roar as the red dragon let the world know, that he had arrived. That the Welsh Dragon was alive again!