Cheers to the Teenage Years

"Goodnight." my father says, shutting the bedroom door softly. It's my 10 o'clock curfew and tomorrow is the last day of senior year. Once I hear the creak of the floor boards and my parents' bedroom door close I wait a few minutes then throw the covers off my body. Under the sheets I have a crop top and pair of jean shorts on. Slowly I creep out of bed and slide on my sandals.

I go to my window, waiting for the signal. I hear the pick-up trucks and hollers from teenagers passing through the fields. It's almost time. After a few more minutes of waiting I see the flicker of the infamous bonfire. Quickly I open up my window and scurry down the tree right outside of it. Once my feet touch the dirt I'm off, running to the field. The wind whips my hair and I push against it, not slowing down for a second. I run through the tall grass, stomping on it and making a path. As I get closer I hear laughs and plenty of voices. I see more headlights pulling into the field and a pick-up truck slows down beside me. "Hop on!" my friend Tyler shouts. I smile and swing over the side of the tailgate, joining him and a few other guys. We ride to the very center of the fields where logs are placed around the big bonfire and several trucks are parked. Girls and guys unload from the trucks, bringing plenty of whiskey and beer with them.

Everyone starts to talk and wander around the little area. Suddenly a pair of hands comes up from behind me and grabs my waist. I hear a laugh and turn around to see Josh behind me. I free myself and stand on my tiptoes to give him a kiss.  He grins, and then wraps an arm around my waist. "I love you." he whispers in my ear. "I love you too." I say back. "Get a room!!" Tyler shouts. People burst out laughing and then the noise fades. Everyone looks around at each other, smiling solemnly. We've been together for eighteen years here in this small town. And tomorrow it ends; things will never be the same. "Here's to the laughs, tears and the teenage years!" I shout, bursting the silence. Red solo cups, glass bottles and flasks are lifted into the air and things are shouted into the now quiet night.

We all gather around the fire and hugs are passed around until soon its one big group hug. Enemies make up, exs take a moment to love each other again. For a moment we forget the past. We realize tomorrow things are over and now is all we have.