The Package

Dave fearfully watched the man with the oxy-torch approach, its clinical blue flame lighting up the dingy garage. He knew what was coming but could do nothing, the tight chains that snaked around his naked body made any resistance futile. Dave looked passed his tormentor to the shadowy figure sitting in the only corner of the shed not reached by the oxy light, “ I’ll make it up to you, I swear”, Dave pleaded, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. Oxy man knelt in front of Dave and instantly his ankle exploded with pain. Dave’s natural defence from pain kicked in, and he passed out.

    His mind drifted back to the day before. A huge night had been planned. Beers, bongs, strippers, hookers, debauchery as far as the eyes could see. All the boys would be there. He’d started proceedings with an early knock off and beers with workmates, the home for a good scrub up, along with a few more beers and the odd bucket bong.

    Dressed to the nines and ready to kill, he’d answered a knock on the door to find the biggest, ugliest, smelliest man he had ever seen. This bloke was wearing an AC/DC   T shirt that was far too small to hold in the pink, hairy beer gut that spilled out over his tight black jeans. With greasy, unkept hair & scraggly beard, the whole ensemble was completed with an ancient pair of black, single plugger thongs. Although his drug fuelled body screamed at him to take the piss out of this thing in front of him, Dave was able to control himself. “ya right mate”, he’d said with a flick of his head, “yeah, orright. You Dave”? it replied, the words bringing with them the aroma of rotting teeth and too many garlic kebabs. Dave held his breath and nodded his reply. Stinky stuck a battered shoebox into Dave’s hands. “give that to Jim willya”, he said, then turned and walked off. “Well, fuck you very much”, thought Dave as he watched the walking compost heap , fully expecting to see seagulls swooping him looking for dead fish.

   Dave had been tempted to look inside the box, but had been friends with Jim long enough to know some things were better left alone. Anyway, Jim would be out front and centre tonight, so where was the harm.

  A taxi pulled up and beeped its horn. Dave surveyed it through bloodshot eyes, a smile creeping up onto his stoned face, “bring it on”, he whispered to himself, then fairly sprinted for the cab.

  The night had been going to plan, apart from Jim being very late. By the time he’d arrived the boys were well into the pub crawl and Dave was well and truly roaring. Jimbo went straight to the bar, grabbed four bourbons and offered two to Dave with an apology. Dave accepted the apology happily, and the two bourbons even happier, then filled Jim in as to what had happened so far. Jim had a good chuckle with the night’s goings ons, but Dave could tell he had something on his mind. “what’s up mate”, he eventually asked. “ I was supposed to pick something up this arvo”, Jim replied,” but I got stuck at work so I got it dropped off at your place, hope that was alright”. Dave smiled,” no worries mate, got it here under the table”. Jim relaxed considerably,” sweet” he said” one less thing to worry about, givvit here mate”. Dave had reached down for the box, but it had gone. Jim was not amused, “ don’t piss around Dave, where is it”,“it was here mate, I swear,” Dave spluttered, which wasn’t entirely true. Dave was that pissed and drug fucked he could have lost it 150 drinks ago.. Jimbo yelled over the music again, “ Where is it Dave”, but Dave had no answer. Jim looked at him with suspicion. “ Gotta make a phone call,” he’d said, storming off. Dave felt sick. He’d never seen Jim so pissed. He was a mate, but Jim had a dark side. The booze, the drugs and the music all seemed to hit Dave at once, and he decided fresh air might be in order.

    Sitting on a park bench wallowing in self pity, Dave never noticed the small group of men sneaking up behind him. A distinct metal clink alerted him to his presence. Dave spun around to find Jim and a couple of heavies standing there. One holding a length of chain. “ Did you really think you would get off that lightly”, Jim said as he quick stepped over to Dave and grabbed him. It had all been a bit of a blur from then on. He remembered being stripped and chained up, but little else until he was brought to the shed.

    Dave snapped back to reality. He could see oxy man concentrating on his ankles. The heat was incredible, the pain almost unbearable. Just when he thought he could take no more, he heard a loud snap and the chains around him relaxed. Oxy man sat back, turning the oxy back to a spluttering orange flame.

“thank fuck for that”, Dave said, standing up and allowing the chain to rattle to the floor.

“thank fucken nuthen”, cursed oxy man, “ you two idiots have any idea how much shit you would be in if the women found out about this, they’d have your fucken nuts.

“ don’t worry Fred”, Dave chuckled to his future father in law, “ what they don’t know won’t hurt them, hey Jimbo”. Jim rolled off the chair and was able to raise a sheepish grin, despite his huge hangover,

“ yeah, no worries Fred, it’s all good, but we’d better hustle, there’s only an hour or so before the wedding”. Jim threw Dave his clothes and he started dressing.

“ mate I’m really sorry I lost your new shoes”, Dave said,

“ not half as much as I am losing the keys to the padlock,” his best man replied.