Vampire Politics from Mr. Not-So-Nice

“Beth Ann, I’m going to talk with Mr. Lucien in the back. Stay out here, okay?” Allison kept her eyes on the vampire, whose small smile had widened into a shit eating grin. Of course he would find her entertaining.

Beth Ann’s lower lip jutted out in a petulant pout before she flicked her hand and snapped, “Fine. Go then.”

You’ll thank me someday, you rude little bitch. Allison forced every muscle to relax and smiled at Lucien.

“Shall we?”

He inclined his head, soft blonde spikes catching the morning sun only to remind her he was breaking the rules. Sure, vampires could walk around in the daylight. They wouldn’t burst into flames or anything. But they generally didn’t, it was like an unspoken rule. The monsters were regulated by the moon, because that’s how it was supposed to be.

“After you, Allison.” Her name rolled off his tongue like he’d kept it there for a few extra moments. Lingering in the taste of a fine wine. Just trying to throw her off and slip inside the façade she was desperately clinging to.

Her eyes fluttered to Beth Ann, who was now diddling with her nails as if there wasn’t a monster in her shop. Like she couldn’t be on the menu in a moment’s notice.

The thought stopped Allison from walking towards the small back office—not even fifty feet away from the clueless mundane girl. If the vampire wanted to, he could kill her annoying boss before she could stop him. And that just wasn’t an option. No matter how many times Allison envisioned doing the deed herself over the past three years.

“You know what, Lucien? Why don’t we head out, I’m sure Beth Ann doesn’t want us bothering her. I’m not even supposed to be in today. Shall we grab a cup of coffee?”

The vampire raised an eyebrow, definitely amused now, as he drew himself up to his full height. And that was a lot of up compared to Allison’s humble five foot three frame. She knew by the ridged set of his shoulders that he was about to lay some serious cards on the table in hopes of intimidating her into doing what he wanted her to. The only question was what did he want her to do?

“I think I rather enjoy young Beth Ann’s company,” at this her boss flushed and preened like a song bird. “Why ever would we want to go anywhere else?”

Allison cleared her throat, “I’m sorry. I thought you wanted to talk to me.”

“I do,” he consented. His blonde spikes bobbed as he nodded his head as if she was finally being reasonable. The motion reminded her that this vampire could be just as old as she was, using the years to learn his strengths and enhance them while she hid them away.

Don’t start thinking like that. Her command relaxed her body, falling more completely into the façade she used to don every day when she met with other immortals. She’d only used it twice now in the past three years in the past two days.

“Well then, wouldn’t you prefer to speak with me at my home then? I couldn’t imagine boring Beth Ann with all of our…conversation.” She paused before the word, lacing it with connotations that made Lucien’s eyes sparkle and Beth Ann scowl.

The thought of Beth Ann hating her for this didn’t stop Allison from curving her lips into a sultry half smile and beckoning towards the shop door.

“Come on, it’s not that far. Surely you wouldn’t mind taking a lady home?”

Beth Ann’s snort went unminded as Lucien inclined his head before stepping forward to gather Allison’s hand on his arm. Like a true gentleman escorting a lady. It took every fiber of her being to not revolt and scream for him to let go. The incantation to kill him was on her lips as she smiled instead and began to guide him out of Belated Gifts and towards the apartment where she’d have to remove all sorts of wards before he could step foot into the building.