Unspoken

A/N This chapter is about Christopher and Jay. I wasn't going to write this chapter, but it crept up on me. I hope you guys enjoy it :)

-Alex

Jay lay down on the twin-sized bed, breathing in the smell of the old house she grew up in. Or rather, the old house that she and Chris grew up in. They used to have sleepovers all the time when they were little, it felt good to revisit that time of their lives again.

"Hey, Jade?" Chris knocked on the door. "Mom's at the store, she's asking if you want anyth- Actually, can I come in?"

"Enter." She said in a monotone. He stepped in, and all of a sudden his bedroom seemed so much smaller. She looked up at the painted clouds on the ceiling and chuckled. "You never did like those clouds. Why keep them?"

"They made me think of you." He shrugged, texting his mom. "I like to keep things that remind me of you. Is that creepy?"

"Yeah, a little. You make it sound like you keep bits of my hair of something."

"Gross, no. Keep your protein strands to yourself."

They laughed, but it was not long before silence settled in the room again. Jay sighed.

"Aki's mad at me." She said. She propped herself up against the bedframe, staring up at the painted ceiling. "And I think she's right. I am being an ass."

"What did you do?"

"I haven't exactly been paying attention to her. Ever since you came back into my life it's just always been you and me, you know."

"So she's jealous."

"No, I don't think so." Jay admitted. Christopher rose an eyebrow, and sat down on the old, childish constellation carpet beside the bed.

"Explain then." He said, putting his phone down. His eyes were trained onto her, ready to listen. Jay chuckled. He was always a good listener.

"I'm neglecting what Aki needs, Chris. I needed time with you, and she understood. I should've taken a week, really. Two, at best. But I haven't seen her in nearly three weeks and I know that's driving her nuts. I'm not trying to say that Aki needs me there constantly, but sometimes when you need help, you only want help from one person, and nobody else can make it better." Jay sat up and kicked at the bits of lint on the carpet, "I was supposed to be that person."

Christopher sighed.

"So you've been ghosting her."

"Okay, yeah. That sums it up."

"You cunt."

"I agree."

Jay sighed, ready to flop back into the bed. She reached for her cigarettes instead, except they had already been confiscated by Christopher. So she brushed her fingers over the pocket she normally kept a blunt or two, and sighed.

"You should go talk to her." He said suddenly. Jay looked at him like he had grown an extra head. "No, really. Now more than ever."

"Her dad just attempted suicide, this isn't a good time."

"Yeah exactly, her adoptive dad just tried to OD on cough medicine and she got the news in the middle of class. She's mad at you, yeah, but she also made you drive her all the way to the hospital. She still trusts you and cares, you're just an idiot."

Jay sighed.

"We should be having this conversation over a bong and some pizza."

"I don't have a bong, Jade."

"Your wardrobe smells like weed."

"... You went through my wardrobe?"

"No, the Weed King opened the doors to your wardrobe and invited me to Pot Narnia. It's a good time, Chris, you should join me." Jay said sarcastically. "Yes, I went through your wardrobe. I was looking for my kite."

"Your old kite is in the garage, you know that- Oh. You bitch."

"Hey, you're the one who put me in gay baby jail in the first place." She shrugged. "Was wondering if you ever wrote me any love letters."

"I did. I burned them." He said, but sheepishly looking away from Jade. She smacked him on the back of his head, as if she was trying to knock sense into him.

"You bitch."

And they laughed for a while. When they calmed down, the sound of the front door reminded them that food was a thing, that ice-cream was a thing, and that Christopher's mother existed.

"We should go help with the groceries." Jade said, chuckling from leftover amusement.

"We should."

But no one moved a muscle. They both just sighed.

"I'd apologise to Aki tomorrow. You're right, I'm being a bitch, I should be there for her right now."

"Well- I didn't say you're being a bitch, I said you're an idiot."

"Same difference." She said, and stood up. Christopher stood too, and they hugged for a while. "Thanks dude. I needed that."

"Thank me after she forgives you. I'd be surprised if she tears you a new one."

"I'd tell you if she does and you can buy me a drink."

"You're the boss." He said, extending a fist bump. Jay rolled her eyes and they bumped fists with knowing grins. "I'm glad we're friends again."

They walked out to the front door where Christopher's mother was waiting with groceries, they hoisted the bags into the living room and his mom set them on tasks to help start dinner. And everything was good.

Everything was good.