Chapter 22: Bad Moon.

April 17th, 1947

"'Liese!?" Matt's voice called from somewhere in the house. He must've just got home from work for lunch. Ol' man Clark has been letting Matt take a little longer on his lunches these days since Matt's now working seven days a week to help support us. He says he's the man and he needs to be the main provider for the family. Before I'd have kicked him in the balls for even thinking that but now that it's not just the two of us that we need to think of and look out for I know we have to conform to our new roles in society as reasonable and responsible parents. I bet a million dollars my mother would be doing back flips if she ever learned that I, her rebellious daughter, is conforming to societal expectations and standards. She'd be happy to say the least.

My hazy mind became clearer with his voice catching my attention. The first signs of spring leapt through the windows of the baby's room. The knit blanket was draped around me as I rocked in the wooden rocking chair in the nursery upstairs. I remained silent as I listened to the stairs creaking loudly with each weight shift. I listened intently to the heavy steps cascade across the hallway to the doorway of the bedroom. I stared out the sun filled window at the flourishing world outside.

"'Liese?" He softly spoke my name again. "–Are you okay?" He asked. I didn't break my silence as I rocked slowly in the wooden chair by the window overlooking the front yard and the street. Matt sighed heavily. I could almost feel the worry and annoyance radiating off of him like the sun radiates warmth. I heard him walk up to the chair. I could see his silhouette crouch down beside me. Slowly, I turned my head in his direction. The evidence of what happened a few weeks ago were fading, too slow in my opinion. But the evidence of what happened to me was still very fresh. I couldn't bare to look into Matt's eyes. I couldn't look into the mirror. I didn't want to see what I've become. That memory echoed through my head every second of every day ever since that afternoon in the hallway at the hospital with Danny.

"Eliese, can I talk to you for a minute?" Danny's question almost caught me off guard but I was expecting something from him. I nodded and without a word Danny and I left the room, leaving Matt to listen to Scarlett talk about her day like she was the Queen and he was nothing but a mere peasant basking in her after glow.

Danny and I went down to the end of the hall where it was quiet and bit more private. His entire demeanor changed and he became the Danny I've grown to hate more and more over the years. I had my back to the wall and he towered over me dauntingly.

"So, I got some interesting news today from my street birdies." He began with such a stupid statement. I nodded and cocked an eyebrow.

"Oh? What sort of news?" I asked curiously, beaming up at him. Danny pushed his hands into his pant pockets, pushing back his shoulders and lifted his chin; he was making himself look bigger. My demeanor didn't change a single bit. I placed my hands on the small of my back and gazed up at Danny unhesitant of what he'll say or do because I'm prepared for war.

"I heard you popped by to visit our favourite war veteran before you took a drive over to the shop. Why were you at those places today 'Liese?" Danny questioned lowly.

"I was trying to figure out what the hell happened to my fiancé, that's why I paid my fiancé's friends a visit, to see if they knew anything,"

"Bullshit." He snarled at me. "–What do you know about me?" Danny stepped towards me, making me fall back against the cold white brick wall. I lifted my chin and stared him dead in the eye. I gave him a crooked smirk and shrugged a shoulder.

"I know a little bit about you. I mean, you've been a part of my life for four years. Why? What do you think I know about you?" I was playing a childish game of chase with him. He couldn't get away from me because I was going to make him lose his cool. His features became dark and insidious looking. I could see the urge to put his hands on me burning like a black wildfire in his dark eyes. He wanted to wrap his hands around my throat until I stopped being. I could feel the rage and fury, and . . . fear. It all radiated off of him like a fire. It felt as though you're sitting behind glass on a hot sunny day.