The day it rained forever-Prologue

With great power comes great responsibility

January, 2100, somewhere in what is left of America

Dear reader,

Have you ever believed in the Apocalypse or that other crap the fundamentalist religions are always larking about? Well, I haven’t either. I thought it was ridiculous that God or whoever is going to send his army of devils to punish us humans for our sins just because a holy book written a few millennia ago claimed so.

 The world didn’t end in that way. It wasn’t caused by any supernatural powers – it was caused by us, the humans and our selfishness. And I had a very key part to play in it…

 Oh, how rude of me! I'd better introduce myself. My name is Professor Angelo Margarine Chang and most people know me as the Father of Genetic Engineering. My life ambition has always been to end world starvation but in doing so, I've started something far worse.

When I created a mutant crop that could quickly reproduce and could be easily grown anywhere in the world, I thought I was doing the world a favour. Poor starving children in Third World countries now had enough to eat and everyone was happy. Of course, I won the Nobel Prize Award for my feat and naturally, everyone wanted to congratulate the brilliant Professor Angelo  for saving  millions of starving children. I met the rich and famous , dined with the world's most important leaders and partied with A-list celebs.

But I became complacent and arrogant. Me, a power hungry, mad egomaniac. When I had my taste of power, money and fame I wanted more-particularly the wealth. So I set up my own company and started to develop more helpful crops. Not soon after, I became one of the richest people on Earth. This wasn't enough for me.

A colleague of mine suggested that I should put a gene in the crop that controlled when it yielded food or not. Whoever controlls the food chain is the most powerful man on Earth, my colleague claimed.