The Luck of The Irish

"Mom, how did you and Dad meet?" my fifteen year old baby girl, Nila, asked me. Her long blonde fishtail braid laid across her shoulder. I tied it in with her favorite color ribbon, green. Just like her father and I she has the brightest little blue eyes.

"Why don't you take a seat and I will tell you and your brother a story." I told them. My son, Kasey, took a seat next to Nila on the couch. "Well it all started when I took a trip to London..."

Twenty Years Ago...

"Mom, I'm going to miss you." I muffled into my mothers shoulder. I had just turned eighteen and was heading to London. I was looking for a job and decided I would go to London. My mothers hair smelt of lilacs. "Be careful. Your still my baby girl." she said between tears. I chuckled,"Don't worry, Mom." "Flight 36-A is now departing." That was my flight. "I have to go, Mom. I love you." "I love you too, honey." With that I grabbed my carry on, which was a small duffle bag that my younger sister bought me for my birthday.

The tunnel which led to the plane was covered in a gray carpet material. My canvas colored Toms were silent as I walked. I hiked the bag further onto my shoulder and walked up the steps onto the plane.

"Seat 26, Row 7." I repeated over and over to myself as I searched for my seat. There it was. The seat next to it was empty. I sighed in relief, I could not get stuck in a seat with the fattest man in the world who needs four seat belt extensions to be buckled in. Slowly, I slid into my seat and put my duffle into the empty seat next to me.

After ten minutes of waiting, the captain came over the speaker and announced we were about to take flight. By then I knew no one would be sitting next to me. Thank the lord. My iPhone 4S was tucked away into my pocket and I pulled it out. Flight mode had to be turned on so I didn't get in trouble or cause the plane to crash.

"Can I get you anything, Miss?" the cocky flight attendant asked me. Of course, she was the stereotypical flight attendant who always had a smile plastered onto her face and was always polite no matter the situation. "No thank you." I said in the nicest tone and with a smile. She walked away with her little cart and headed down the aisle. I grabbed my green ear buds and plugged them into my iPhone. My favorite song "More Than This" by One Direction blasted into my ears. Not before long, I drifted to sleep.

The jerk of the plane hitting the runway awoke me from my sleep. I jerked the ear buds out of my ear and shut off the music. It was a ten hour flight from California to London. I needed to go to the bathroom and redo my makeup. With my iPhone completely put away, I stood from my seat and headed off the plane with my bag on my shoulder.