Chapter 1

*******************************************************************************************************************

**********************************************************************************************************************

Love is.......Trusting someone with all your heart

Chapter 1

I never had a dad to be there for me like everyone else. He left a while ago, left my family and I to survive on our own. I always blamed him for everything that went wrong, but what else could I do?

I got up from the couch and dropped my journal under one of the pillows. I was starving so I went to the kitchen. I've lost my appetite the last few days.

"Oh, Luke." I stopped at the kitchen's doorway. My mom was in there, along with my step dad, who I hated with every inch of my gut.

My mom giggled as Luke nibbled on her neck. My stomach turned as they kissed. It was disgusting.

"Get a room." I told them. They turned around quickly and retreated from each other's arms.

"Skylar,don't scare me like that."

I rolled my eyes, “I’m serious." 

Luke sighed. "Skylar..."

I turned away and ran up the stairs to my room. I didn't want him talking to me. Ever. I slammed my door shut and plugged my ear phones in. Music always calmed me; it was medicine to my own pain. It calmed my mind, because I could never get away from  my thoughts.

There was a knock on my door and I ignored it. It knocked again and I yelled, “Go away."

The knocking continued and I realized it wasn't from the door, but my window. I looked out from it and saw Leonel hanging for his life. I quickly opened it and pulled him up. He fell to the ground but quickly recovered and smiled at me.

"You idiot, you could have gotten hurt." I say and playfully punch him on the arm.

"Ow." he pouts.

I soften and smile a little. He follows me to my bed and we both sit down.

"What are you doing here?" I ask curiously.

"Just to stop by and say hi...almost dying in the process."

I laugh and someone knocks on my door. I panic and push Leonel off the bed.

"Get under the bed!" I rush. He does so and I quickly pretend to look normal.

Mom opens the door and looks at me with concern. " Are you okay?"

"Yes."

"Do you need-"

"No."

"Skylar."

"No" I say quickly.

She looks at me with hurt and then gets angry.

Skylar, don't act like that. We're going to have a talk later. I'm going

out with Luke. Clean your room while I'm out. Start now." she says sternly

and shuts the door. Once the door slams closed, Leonel ascends from underneath my bed and sits beside me again. I sigh heavily. He looks at me for a few seconds before speaking.

" Well, you have an interesting relationship with your mom."

I roll my eyes. " I'm not in the happiest mood today. I don't feel like talking about it, okay?"

He nods slowly but then turns me around so that I'm facing him. " You can tell me anything though. You can actually...trust me. Don't forget that."

My lip trembles. "Thanks." I mutter. " It's just that..." I laugh but it's short and dry. " i don't ever think I'm enough for people. Someone always has to be prettier, skinnier, smarter...I'm sick of it. I just wish I, I don't know, feel like I belong." I look at him and notice something sparkle in his dark brown eyes. They're filled with worry. I continue. " And my stepdad," I pause at how wrong it feels to even call him dad, " I hate him, i really do. He's a sick man."

Leonel sighs and I wonder if I said too much. I should just keep my problems to myself. It's not fair to burden him with every thing I'm facing.

"I'm sorry." we both say at the same time but he just shakes his head and repeats himself. He pulls his feet on the bed and glares at me. " Skylar,you're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen to be honest. You're perfect even and if anyone and I mean anyone ever says differently, i'll be sure to kick their ass."

I can't stop myself from laughing at that. The idea of Leonel fighting anyone is so ridiculous.

" I'm not kidding." he says with a serious tone. " I'm sorry you even feel that way about yourself. You don't deserve it."

He gently glides his hand over my cheek but then pulls away. His touch still lingers for a second.

" You have Erick to be there for you, even when I can't."

I smile whole heartedly which makes him break out into a huge grin. I almost close my eyes at the blissful sound of his words, how calming and reassuring they are.

His phone rings and he immediately picks it up. "Hello?" he speaks into his phone. I watch him talk, and admire the way his jaw moves, and the ways his eyes look so determined, and the ways his lips maneuver in such a pleasant pattern. I quickly look away when he glances at me. He soon hangs up and tells me he has family issues he needs to work out. I bite my lip.

"I'll see you tomorrow at school, okay?" he smiles at me and then proceeds to jump out my window.

I hear him groan in pain as he hits the grass and I run up to my window, to see him run off.

I giggle  to myself and yell a quick "Be careful!".

My mood has risen significantly since he arrived. He makes me happy, I admit. Best friends are suppose to be there for you, and he's been there for me more than I could count. I pulled out my iPod, picked my favorite song, and hooked it up onto my computer. Mom and Luke were gone, which made it better, I could blast my music loudly without being told to turn it down.

"And the heart has no face and I promise you that our thing is never going to end," I sang loudly. I was jumping up and down and I felt happier than I have in a long time. Music was my cure for all the troubles in my life. " And nor am I perfect, I only know that I want you like this." I continued to sing and when the song was over I collapsed onto my bed, exhausted from jumping up and down.

"Skylar," a voice said and I jerked up immediately and almost fell off from my bed. My eyes widened but it was only Leonel at my window again.

" What are you doing here again?" I asked, startled.

He smiled. " I forgot my hat."

I glanced around and noticed his hat sitting on the floor. I hadn't seen it before. I rubbed my arms nervously. " How long have you been here?"

He smirked. " Enough to know you are a very good dancer,'" he replied with a small laugh. " Now, help me up, carefully this time."

I rolled my eyes and slid him up. His feet were safely positioned on the window sill but my hand slipped and he fell forward, crushing me to my death. We groaned simultaneously, too much in pain to move. " I'm sorry," he said finally and got up. His stomach brushed against mine, causing me to blush furiously. His brown eyes looked down at mine and for a moment there, I thought he was going to kiss me. Instead, he helped me up and retrieved his hat.

" See you later," he said, smiling shyly and I reflected his look. I told him bye for the second time and made sure he left until closing my window. I fell back on my bed, sighing.