C H A P T E R 14

Two weeks had passed since she had seen him last and yet she still wasn’t back to her normal self. At this point, she didn’t even have to mention his name for anyone to know who she was referring to.

Celia’s head was aching from the thoughts that dominated her being. She wondered if he was thinking about her but quickly rejected that thought. She wondered if he would appear, if he would apologise or even if she would find him under her bed, lurking like the monster he was until she was at her most vulnerable.

But she knew it wouldn’t happen even though a small demented part of her wished for it to happen. It was apparent that she was losing her mind and what little common sense she had.

She was being pathetic.

Moping around about the man who had no place in her life.

Having to stop herself from showing up at his house.

It went without saying that he was haunting her dreams to the point where she woke up breathless with her underwear ruined. But Celia had decided that taking the matter into her own hands, both figuratively and literally, would not help in that case. She would still feel empty, the void inside her never even close to being filled.

It was the most peculiar thing in the world. How had she formed such an attachment to someone she had only known for a few weeks? How had he become so damn important when she had tried her best not to let him close to any part of her that mattered?

She wanted to forget about him and everything that reminded of him and then maybe she could return to her old life. Would she be able to fix it if she spent some time with a friend? Perhaps. Also, what more was there to lose?

Her first choice had been Mina but unfortunately, she had informed Celia that she already had plans. Plans which involved not getting out of bed until Erik was too tired to move, as she had put it. However, Mina had suggested that Celia should go out with Brian, reminding her that seeing a friendly face after his trip to the hospital would be the best thing for him. Somehow, she suddenly was not the one that should be comforted, her need for a friendly face was forgotten and other people’s needs came first. For them, at least. She only played along to avoid loneliness.

She had been alone for too damn long.

Besides, Brian was steady, he was nice, a good friend.

The polar opposite of Ax.

Ax was like a drug. He was cocaine, he was meth, he was heroin. He was addictive and deadly. He had the ability to make you lose yourself and make you hate it and crave it at the same time. You hate yourself for wanting him because it’s wrong, so terribly wrong.

Yet, sometimes, it felt too good for it to be wrong but perhaps that was the meaning of temptation.

It was safe to say that Celia needed to stay away from any kind of temptation.

And so, eventually, she called Brian.