Chapter 25.1 - Freedom or Death

Gretch stood just outside the range of Berlavi's face. Even though he was muzzled and tied down he was still dangerous.

Gretch stared the creature in the eye to assert dominance. "This is how it shall be. If you do what I want, you shall receive food." He held up a brace of rabbits he had trapped at dawn. "If you resist you will get pain." He held up a long stick he had hewn from one of the few trees that grew in the rocky area.

"Let us begin."

He planted the stick by his side and extended both arms towards the flier's head. One hand held the rabbits and one was his empty palm. The flier suddenly thrashed forward. It tried to smash Gretch's arms. Its roar was muted by the ropes that muzzled it. Gretch was expecting the move and easily stepped out of the way. He quickly grabbed the stick and slapped it across the top of its long snout.

"I am the master. You are the servant. We will try again."

***

Alam finished his story. He told it simply and without Tajar's flair and performance but he missed none of the essential details. Iwan and Hannah had listened quietly for the duration of his tale, interrupting only to clarify points they did not understand. When Alam was finished the two priests both leaned back in silent thought.

"Do you still think he is an assassin?" Iwan asked with a small smile.

"No," Hannah replied. She turned back to Alam. "Thank you for telling us your story. We had wondered what had befallen Brother Unher and his escort."

"Who is Brother Unher?"

"He was the man that gave you the box. We had expected them to arrive two months ago. What a sad waste of life. At least he died well."

"You knew him?" Alam asked surprised.

"We served one of the great temples of the West together for five years before Hannah and I took charge of this temple," said Iwan solemnly.

"So you were friends?"

The two priests nodded.

"I am sorry to bear you sad tidings."

"We are sorry to hear them, but the blame lies with others, not you," Hannah said kindly.

"Did you know anything about his task to deliver this box? Why he was doing it, or where he was going?"

The two priests exchanged a glance. A silent understanding seemed to pass between them. They leaned in close to Alam. Alam mirrored them by leaning in as well.

"We will tell you what we know," said Hannah.

Before she got any further, feet entering the temple sounded behind Alam. He turned around and saw a group of six dusty travelers enter the room.

"Welcome!" Iwan exclaimed jovially and rose to greet them. "You look weary from days of journey. Come in and rest."

Hannah rose. As she passed Alam she placed her hand on his shoulder and whispered to him "we will talk tomorrow." She disappeared into the back of the temple while Iwan smiled and laughed with the newcomers. Hannah returned moments later with a tray laden with bowls of soup and two loaves of bread.

A couple of the travelers stared grimly at Alam and muttered among themselves. Their hands hovered near the hilts of the long knives they wore on their belts. Alam lowered his gaze and turned away. The last thing he wanted was trouble. Hannah saw the tension and moved over to Alam.

"Follow me," she said quietly. She led him out the back of the temple, through a large kitchen full of the heavenly fragrance of soup and bread, and into a very small, simply furnished room. A raised bed with a straw mattress and thick blankets took up the majority of the immaculately clean room. It was windowless so Hannah brought a candle and placed in on the only furnishing in the room other than the bed - a small wooden table which held a clay jug of water and a small mug.