20 ∞ Where Waves Hit The Sand

Chapter 20

Chapter 20

"Ela?" I heard my mom call from downstairs.

I got up, letting out a heavy sigh. There were many things I should have done. I should have told her. I should have at least hinted that maybe Stephen liked someone else, but I couldn't. Like anyone who had a crush on somebody, Laurine was pleased to learn his name. I'd lost the timing to say anything else after that.

"Ouch," I muttered under my breath, hitting the wrong step on our stairs.

Kath giggled.

"We should get that fixed," Mom said, getting up to examine the broken step on the stairs. We went down, and she asked me, "What took you so long? Are you not feeling well?"

"I'm okay."

"You look pale."

"Just a little tired."

"I saw that you're up until one. Don't stay up late that much," Mom reminded me.

"Okay," I just said, too tired to argue about anything. Sitting beside Kath, who was eating her pancakes, I asked Mom, "Why did you call me down? Are we going to leave?"

"It's still early," Mom answered. "Have your breakfast first. Laurine called, but you didn't come down right away, so I told her I'll make you call her back."

I wondered why she called, but I didn't feel like speaking to anyone on the phone right now. Pouring myself a glass of milk, I said to her, "I'll just see her in school."

"I almost forgot," Mom said suddenly. She went to her room and got something. It was a paper bag with a box of shoes inside. She handed it to me, saying, "Can you give this to her? It's Laurine's birthday tomorrow. I won't be seeing her until next week."

"Are you taking a leave from work?" I asked. Laurine usually headed to her dad's clinic after school.

"She wants to celebrate with her mother. They're going to spend the weekend there," Mom explained.

I just nodded, putting the paper bag beside my bag.

After Mom went to her room to get dressed and fix her makeup, Kath tapped my arm. She got something out of her cute Troopy bag that was on the chair next to her.

It was a quiz, and she got a perfect mark. I patted her head, saying, "Good job."

She giggled.

"How's therapy going?" I asked, fixing her headband. She nodded with a noncommittal expression in her eyes. With a quiet voice, I added, "Are you still uncomfortable with it? Does it scare you?"

She shook her head, showing me a smile this time.

"I'm glad to hear that," I replied, watching her stuff the pancakes into her mouth. Mom wouldn't let her off that easily. She had to present an empty plate, or she would be late for school. It still worked on her.