chapter 3 - I'd go quietly

Dad was pleased I was getting close to Dick but not pleased in the way that I was getting close to him and the Harley agreed with him.

I can hardly stand being near them right now. They had just escaped from Arkham – I being the one to break them out, of course – and my thanks for helping out? Not a good one.

So that's why I'm sporting some nice and fresh bruises under my white and black greasepaint as I run and jump over rooftops, climbing up fire escapes and trying to get as far away from the warehouse as possible while still staying in Gotham. Annoyingly I hadn't been able to cover up the cut Dick had given to me in gym. Robin, who my Dad had managed to find out was Richard Grayson, was doing rounds to night and my Dad had told me to find him. I was happy to oblige as I ran out the warehouse.

Look at me, I really am crazy like those Arkham 'doctors' said. I'm talking to the voice in my head like I'm writing a book or something! Imagine me, waisting my time on something as stupid as that!

I stop for a breather on top of one of my favorite buildings: Wayne Tower. It was unbelievably tall and a pain in the ass to climb/grapple without getting noticed, but it had the best view of the city, which is just what the doctor ordered. Actually, I'm pretty sure if I did go see a doctor, they would prescribe an icepack, pain killers, and a straitjacket.

My blue eyes rake over the hundreds of buildings as my feet dangle over the edge. Is this dangerous? Uh, hell yeah. Am I afraid? Not really...Not anymore, anyways. When you live with the Joker, you learn to conquer any previous fears as quickly as possible. Something like this doesn't even faze me anymore.

"What are you doing up here?" a voice asks from behind me, and I freeze in my spot. Oh shit he really is here. "Hey, I'm talking to you, Jesster."

I swallow thickly, and put up my façade that I wear everywhere. People think that I'm naturally crazy, but I'm not. Jesster is crazy. Jessica, however, is as normal as can be. But nobody can know that, especially not Robin. "Don't you think I know that, Bird Brain? You see anyone else up here?"

He steps closer to me, and uses his wannabe-Batman voice. "You didn't answer my question."

"I like it up here; it's peaceful," I admit, still refusing to look at him. "Come here."

To my great surprise, the sidekick complies and comes to sit next to me. He sighs heavily and rubs his face, looking to the direction where Arkham Island stood proudly, half covered by shadows but still illuminated by the lighthouse on the port. Even if I was supposed to be a fearless villain, and I had been in there a bunch of times already, it still gave me the creeps to see it at night. Obviously, it had the same affect on the Boy Wonder. "You seem tired," I comment in a low voice while I leaned back on my palms, and I dare to turn my face towards him. He looks tired too.

"Two robberies, five muggings, and three attempted rapes," he answers, leaning back, too. "You know, I probably should be arresting you right now."

"I'll go willingly," I whisper. "If you do, that is."

His mouth drops open in shock. "Wha– you will?" I falter, but I can't tear my eyes away from his gaze. What the hell am I doing?

I know exactly what I'm doing, though. I'm about to tell my sworn enemy everything I had kept bottled up for the past four years. This would end disastrously, I just know it. But you know what? I don't even care anymore. "I'm sick of lying."

"L-lying about what?" he stutters, still in a slight state of shock.

"Do you really think I'm always this insane, Robin?"

"Well, no, but..." Bird Brain trails off, looking completely confused. Not even a moment later his eyes widen comically behind his mask and he points an accusing finger at me. "You just called me Robin!"