Chapter Ten

Mal walked Nate down the cargo bay ramp until Nate's feet hit dirt. Zoe absentmindedly held her stomach where behind carefully chosen clothes was the beginning of a baby bump; she couldn't conceal the innate need to protect her baby. River's eyes slid down to Jayne's unbuttoned holster, where the familiar nickel-plated pistol (the one she last held before her run-in with Jubal Early) waited to be pulled. Jayne's favourite revolver sat snugly in a holster on his thigh.

"You think you got off Scott-free, don't ya?" Nate asked. "I'm the very least of your problems. I'm insignificant. I'm nothing compared to the boot that's about to crush y'all like the miserable little insects you are. You pathetic worm! They'll take everything from you. Everything you love, they won't leave 'nough land beneath ya feet for you to stand on. When they're done, you won't even have the sky. They're everywhere."

The gun came out of nowhere and before anyone could react, Nate put two shots into Mal's back and ducked out of the way of the gunfire that chased him. River saw it happen in Nate's head. She wasn't about to let Mal get shot.

Mal walked back onto the ship as Nate stood facing the world. His hand went to his chest, where he kept his spare gun. He took it out slowly and then with a swift turn on his heels he had aimed it. The bullets entered so close together that the holes overlapped. Nate dropped his gun to the floor and fell to his knees as blood poured out of him. Mal looked up and saw River, Jayne's pistol levelled at Nate. Time was slow for River. She saw Nate's intentions before he could perform the act and thankfully, she was quick enough to stop him.

River ran forward and pushed Nate's body back with a kick to his chest. Nate fell backward into a cloud of dust on the planet floor. His eyes were as evil as they ever had been. Even in this, his final moment of life, he had no remorse or feeling of any kind. River aimed the gun to his head and pulled the trigger. The blast was nearly deafening as Nate's head snapped back and exploded into chunks on the ground. The thirsty earth swallowed the blood. River looked down at the unrecognizable face. She lowered the gun and walked back to the group.

The silence was a result of shock and anxiety. River gave the gun back to Jayne and wiped the blood splatter from her face. Without saying a word, she left the cargo bay as the crewmembers watched. Mal looked to Simon.

"What was that?" He asked Simon.

"That was her saving your gorram hide," Jayne said.

"I ain't debating that, Jayne," Mal said, then turned back to Simon. "Every time I reckon I got her pretty much figured, she throws a wrench into things."

"I don't know anymore," Simon said.

"Well, let's not stick around and wait for the Alliance to ask about the dead guy; let's get this bird in the air," Mal said. "Zoe, you fly. Kaylee, you know what to do. And you Doctor, you figure out what's goin' on in your sister's head pasta."

"Head pasta?" Zoe asked Mal as they walked away.

"First thing that came t' mind," Mal replied.

Simon went to River's room, where the door was shut. He knocked. "River?" He called out.

"Indisposed," River said through the door.

"Mei-mei, let me in," Simon said, pressing his forehead to the door.

"Simon, go away."

"I just want to help."

"If you want to be helpful, start digging a hole for poor departed Nathaniel Holliman," River said.

"What are you saying? This doesn't sound like you, River."

"Leave me alone, Simon. Or I'm going to punch you in the neck," River said.