Friends?

Kassandra's POV

When I woke up I had a pounding headache. I opened my eyes and had to shut them again because of the bright light streaming into the room.

I became aware of three things. One. This wasn't my room. Two. There was something warm and fuzzy snuggled up to my side. And three. There was someone else in the room with me.

"Are you awake beautiful lady?" A familiar voice asks.

I opened my eyes again to Fen leaning over me, worry evident in his eyes.

"Fen? What's wrong?"

"You gave us a good scare, that's what happened." He said in a serious tone.

"Huh. What are you talking about?"I asked truly confused.

But as I thought about it, it all came flooding back to me.

"They almost killed you." A voice at the side of the bed said.

I turned toward the voice and there she sat. Alaina. Her swirling eyes were so cold that they burned.

"Maybe you should have just let me die." I say as I looked away from her intense eyes.

Her hand shot and grabbed my chin firmly but gently. She turned my face back towards her and I was once again captured by those eyes.

"Why would you say something so foolish?" She asks sounding truly perplexed.

"You saw what they did to me today?"

She nods.

"I've been getting treated that way since I was twelve years old. Ever since my father betrayed the hunters to the vampires and wolves and got a bunch of the hunters killed. It didn't matter that I was to young to understand what was going on. I was still punished. My mother was so distressed that when she went on a mission she got herself and two other hunters killed with no thought of me. With no other adult there to take the blame, they all turned on me take out their frustrations on. I'm suprised that I've actually made it this long." I finish giggling.

Her hand releases my chin and she cups my face with both hands, she uses her thumbs to wipe away the tears falling down my cheeks. I didn't even know that I was crying.

Fen climbs on top of me and snuggles up tight under my chin.

"Live." She says fiercely her eyes shining bright.

"Why." I ask her. "What else is there to live for?" I add softly for myself, but she hears me any way.

"Me."

She doesn't say anything else, but her eyes are burning with so much heat that I want to turn away because I'm afraid that I'll get burned. But she doesn't let me turn away as she's still holding my face.

"And me." Fen adds from where he's still laying on my chest.

"We'll protect you and keep you safe if you stay with us and be our friend."

"Friends?" I say shocked. "I haven't had any friends since I was eleven."

I remember my one and only friend wistfully.

"You'll be our first friend too." Fen cintinues, "believe it or not Ali here is very antisocial."

He chuckles. Alaina growls.

The thought of having actual friends terrifies me. But being alone has actually been ubearable. Can I really have friends?

I nod my head yes and she releases my face. The sparks that had been firing from her hands stops. I didn't notice them until they stopped.

Fen jumps up and starts licking my face. Alaina growls again and I giggle.

"Don't worry pretty lady, no one will ever hurt you ever again." Fen promises and I believe him whole heartedly.

Who would have thought I'd ever be lucky enough to have friends. And a really hot one at that.