| 30 |

James

James

"Not only did you take her from me but you knocked her up to." Guero scoffs.

My patience for this sack of shit was running thin.

"You don't even fucking care about her!" I walk over to where he was standing and got in his face.

"Elena's her own damn person, James. What she does is entirely up to her and she chose to give her self and your little love child up . . . Congrats, you couldn't even keep her safe." The infamous Guero Davila smirk plastered acrsoo his face.

I scoff. Guero's shit-eating grin mocks me as I try to gather my thoughts and figure a way out of here.

"Do you love her?"

His words catch me off guard. Was Guero trying to have a fucking 'heart to heart' with me? I stare at him, my eyes narrowed and annoyed.

"Don't make me ask again." He huffs.

Unsure what to say, I stand still with my mouth slightly open. I didn't necessarily want to discuss the matter of Elena - A girl we both loved - at this point in time.

"The great protector James can't even say he loves her back . . ." His brows nags up in amusement and a smirk plastered his face. I ignored him and moved toward the door. I didn't need his shit.

"You love her so much, why don't you get off your ass and help me find a way out of here." I retorted.

***

Elena

I followed closely behind the child leading me. We entered a room, soft whispers rumbled, but my breath left my body the moment we rounded the corner. Five bodys, wrapped in sheet hanging upside down; struggling to break free; their blood pouring into bowls. Men, women all gathered around on their knees. It's now that I hear El Santo speaking as i near him further.

When I dart my eyes upward to meet El Sant I'm met a man in a devil mask such as the childrens. "Blood of our enemies, the blood of our enemies, the blood of our . . " He trials off as he stares at me.

I felt my blood run cold. I didn't want to begin fathoming what went through his head. He pulls off his mask and walks to me. "Your bible says in versa: 1;21 Lamb has chosen; a blade; a life; a scarifice, blood will reign down." I puase and lower to my knees. "So I knee before you, in your house ready to be your scarifice . . . if those I love will be spared."

"You . ." He knees in front of me. "Think you can come into my chapel and kneel before my god and use his words against me, atonement can not be derailed like a childs train set. Do you understand, because we are a family of fire!" He stands. His hands rising and then the soft sound of the room turned to loud hums. "And love . . .love is what ingites our beautiful flock, our family." He finished

"What kind of loving family craves blood?" I ask warily.

"My dear child." He pulls out his knife and my bones started to shake. "Family has always been about blood." He hold the knide against my chest, above my heart. "You, Your baby, and James are family . . By blood." He stares into my watery eyes. I know he can see the fear and pain running behind them. "Oh, Mi'ja." I flinch at his touch as he moves a few stray hair out of my face and behind my ear. He then cups my face in both his hands gently. "Elena, are you aware of the 'moyocoyotzin' it means 'she who creates herself' I suspect that . . you might just be pure of heart." He stands before me, reaching out his hand for me to take. I do so and stand next to him.

He turned to his left and spoke. "The blood please."

I watched as the little girls in masks start to turn a lever. I was confused, I didn't understand until I let my eyes follow what the lever was pulling. A metal wire was attached to the throats of the people hanging, which was attached to the lever and as the girl pulled and turned the lever the wire got tighter; cutting into their necks and I knew soon their heads would be laying in the bowl below them.

"This is the blood of my enemy . . " El Santo spoke, holding a cup full of blood. "My it fertilize your mind . . "He motions for me to walk forward. "Come, Elena."

My steps are small and slow as I make my way over to him. I was terrified. I didn't know what was next so all I could do was pray. I didn't know if i was praying to a god I didn't believe in anymore or simply just reversing words over and over again in my head. I closed my eyes and released a breath. I felt his cold fingers run across my forehead, the sticky feeling of blood started to trickle down, but I kept my eyes shut.

"And when he has given us thanks, he broke it. and he said, 'take this. eat it. it is my body.' and he quoth 'of now done, darkness, I, wretch, lay wrestling with my god.' will you wrestle with your god, Elena?"