Strangers in the Forests

Despite the leaden skies, most of the inhabitants of Banton lingered in the woods after dusk. I watched Mrs Monza usher Faith away with an older women unknown to me. In different circumstances she would have entrusted Faith to me, but it was clear that she no longer trusted me anymore. I'm sure she doubted her conclusion that I was not a ruthless killer.

After a moments spent dazed, some authoritive voice ordered me to fetch some refreshments, and I complied blankly. I wanted nothing more than to flee from the small group of people I'd come to recognise as companions, but I knew Mrs Monza would not allow it. So I returned to the now deserted village of Banton. I briefly considered packing up and leaving then and there, but it didn't seem quite right, after the grievance I'd caused Mrs Monza.

Burdened with a heavy cart, I slowly began to drag it back down the road. I wasn't expecting to meet a soul, until I heard Faith's voice. "Please, Charlotte!" she whined in a way I hadn't heard before.

"Come on Faith, we'll get you something nice to eat when we get back, something from my bakery," the women futilely attempted to distract Faith.

"My father is dead. Why does everyone assume I am too young to understand?" she sounded frustrated, and somehow older than eight. It was heart wrenching to hear her so mature.

"Ssh ssh, don't speak of it, Faith. Quiet now, you have been exposed to some things you should not see just yet..."

"Why?" Faith snapped. "My father's dead, we've known it for months. My mother explained it to me. She told me he was as good as dead...."

"Shut your mouth, Faith, I told you it was inappropriate!" the women snapped harshly.

Faith gasped, and began to drag her feet across the dusty road. I realized I'd frozen, listening in on their conversation, and quickly made for the woods again. I hoped they wouldn't guess I was watching.

When I came in to view, their reactions were very different. "Poppy!" she left the women's side and came to hug me closely. Her eyes were red and watery, but she was still delighted to see me.

"Hey, Faith," I hugged her back, only to feel her dragged away. I looked up to see the women holding Faith by the collar of her coat. Faith was struggling violently, hitting out and kicking.

"Stop that now!" the women snapped, dropping her to the ground. Faith lay in a bundle on the floor, trying to regain her feet.

"What Lila?" she howled unhappily.

"Now we're going to avoid..." she cast an obvious look in my direction.

Faith noticed it. "You mean we're going to avoid Poppy? Why?" she scowled.

Lila struggled to find the right words. "I mean we're going to avoid... trouble," at this I sneered. How dare she call me trouble? I wasn't troublesome. I'd been taught not to inconvenience anyone without a reason.

"What have I ever done to you?" I asked, feigning confusion.

Lila scowled, looking down her long nose at me; she looked as if she didn't see the question as worth her breath.

"What are saying about Papillion, sister?" I bit my tongue and backed away as Mrs Monza approached.

"Why sister, I'm only trying to protect your daughter," she explained pompously. Faith huffed.

"But what did you say about Papillion?" Mrs Monza clearly wasn't as pleased with Lila as herself.

"Come on," Lila laughed. "Do you really see the girl as anything more than a working beast?"

I watched in shock as Mrs Monza jumped to slap Lila on the cheek. Lila was clearly surprised too, as she jumped, and then clutched her flaming cheek.