Ch.17: This Should Be Fun

By the time Chancho and Chloe reached the neck of the cave, the longer-burning phosphorus patches sown into his serape were burning down. He’d never intended them for light to see by, but the flicker they provided served sufficient to keep them upright and moving forward as fast as they dared.

Three hundred yards later Chancho realized the light in the cave was coming from the sun rather than his tattered garment. “There.” The cave split, but one passage was pitch black. Following the light, they eventually stepped into a vertical shaft—a man-made access for the natural cave.

Stopping to catch their breath, Chancho put his ear to the ground while Chloe gazed upward into a tiny speck of cloudy sky. “I’ve never seen such a glorious shade of gray.” She breathed deep. “But where’s Angelo?”

“Nothing. I don’t think they’re following.”

“You think Serge came out on top?”

No sé. But it makes sense.” Chancho stood. “Lo siento, señorita.” He embraced her, feeling their hearts beat in sync.

“For what?”

“I’ve been distracted.”

“Nonsense. You did your job and I did mine.” She squeezed him tight. “We ain’t dead, are we?”

He let go and shook his head. “Not that.”

Chloe stepped back. “Oh. The children.”

“Earlier, I did not mean to offend you. It’s just,” he glanced over his shoulder. “I was trying to focus on the good we can do.”

“And what do you call saving dozens of innocent children?”

“I can’t—”

“How can you, of all people, not care about orphans?” Chloe’s voice echoed in the shaft.

“Is that what you think?” Chancho tried to place a hand on her shoulder, but she jerked away. “You think I don’t care?” He grimaced and shut his eyes, swallowing a wave of both hurt and anger. “And what would you do for them? Take them from a world they have built with their own cunning, and thrust them into one even more hostile? One where the rinche will hunt them down and slaughter them? One were everyone will fear them?” He jabbed his finger toward the floor. “At least here they know the rules. They can continue to survive until,” he coughed and fell silent.

Chloe stepped toward him. “Until they die from the illness.”

Chancho looked up, dirty tears etching his face. “I cannot save them all. I’m only one man.”

“Is that what you think? That it’s your job to save everyone?”

Chancho sank to his knees. “Isn’t it?” His voice faded into the blackness. Encased in total silence, the couple froze until Chloe joined him on the cave floor.

“I’m the one who should be sorry.”

“Why?”

“You were trying to do what was best for the children, for everyone. I,” she lifted his chin with a finger. “I can’t believe I accused you of not caring. If I would have stopped to think… I should have known.”

Chancho breathed deep and stood. “We shouldn’t stay here.”

“Look.” Chloe rose with him, forcing him to look her in the eyes. “I don’t know. Maybe it is your job to save us all, maybe not. But if it was, the Chancho I know would find a way.”

He embraced her, kissing her lightly on the cheek and ear before clutching her to himself. Again, as in the stone house, Chloe’s internal fire ignited his own. “If you can continue, time and again, to save me, the least I can do is save the world. Or at least a small piece of it.”