The hare, the turtle and the snail

A long time ago there was a race to find out who was the fastest animal in the forest. Most of the animals gave up because they were intimidated by the hare. Only the turtle challenged him, and surprisingly, the turtle won.

A few years later the turtle and the hare became friends. They married their high school sweethearts and became each other’s “Best Man” in their wedding.

One day the hare’s son Hare Junior sent a challenge to the turtle. He demanded a rematch between his dad and the turtle. His father did not approve of it because he and the turtle were now both too old. The turtle, however, said that he would find someone else to race for him while Hare Junior could race. Hare Junior agreed only if the animal could run just as fast as the turtle.

He first asked the whale.

“Oh Mr Whale would you race for me?”

“I’m sorry turtle, but I cannot race for you. I may be as fast as you but I am too big for that race.”

Then he asked the baby sloth.

“Oh Baby Sloth would you race for me?”

“I’m sorry turtle, but I cannot race for you. I may be as big as you but I don’t move at all. I’m too lazy.”

He was about to give up hope when he met a snail.

“Oh Mr Snail would you race for me?”

The snail accepted happily.

“Sure, Mr Turtle I’ll race for you. I’m just as big, and I’m just as fast!”

The turtle informed Hare Junior that he will face the snail. He accepted and laughed.

The turtle trained him for a week. It was the most gruelling training he had ever received.

And by the start of the race he was prepared.

It was the start of the race a crowd of animals gathered to watch. The coaches were asked to give them a motivational speech before starting.

He was surprised to find out that the turtle coached both Hare Junior and him.

The turtle said he was hired by the hare because he believed he was the best coach.

Hare Junior was arrogant and acted bored. He gave the snail a 15 minute head start.

His father warned him that he’ll lose because of that attitude, but he didn’t listen.

The race started and the snail rushed immediately. He was so slow it took 10 minutes to reach the foot of the hill.

Hare Junior ran after 15 minutes like he promised. He was so confident that he’ll win. He did not pay attention and ran full speed. He ran so fast that he caught up with the snail in an instant. But he was too distracted in taunting the snail he slipped in the snail’s slime. He rolled down the hill and hit the tree. The same tree his father fell asleep on.

He fell unconscious and lost the race to the snail.