Chapter Twenty

"Walk away." Elijah called out to Nik walking forward.

"Don't move!" Nik shouted not taking his eyes off Rebekah.

"Leave us now." Elijah instructed Rebekah tilting his head in her direction.

"She can't. We are all stuck here." I answered for her. I was scared for her; I had never seen Nik this angry. Not even when he blamed Elijah for Katerina's disappearance in the 1400's. Nik came forward slightly pointing the stake at her.

"Elijah, he has the white oak stake." Rebekah said sounding terrified.

"I brought it for you sister." He started coming forward once more. I connected to Rebekah's mind.

Get out of here. Your presence is making him angrier. Take Henrik, he knows the cemetery better then you. Leave Nik to Elijah and I. He moved even closer. Now! I rushed forward, tackling Nik to the ground fighting him. When he pushed me off we both sped to our feet, I was on Nik's other side. He was between me and Elijah. Rebekah and Henrik were gone.

"You would side with that traitor?" He asked. I could hear the hurt in his voice.

I swallowed. "I won't allow you to hurt her." I shook my head. "I will not," my eyes flickered to the stake, "lose another sibling." He glared at us both.

"We cannot leave this cemetery." He pointed out. "How long do you think you can defend her?"

"As long as we have to." I declared. He suddenly disappeared using his vampire speed but Elijah had disappeared as well, following him. I pulled out my Rune-star and stared at it. Bringing it to my arm to activate my speed and strength runes I stopped hesitating. I could suddenly hear Papa Tunde's laughter and my own screams as he cut into me. I felt like I couldn't breathe.

I don't know how long I was like that for before I could hear my name being called. Hands appeared and cupped either side of my face making me look towards something. "Breathe. Breathe. Evermore breathe. You're alright." I don't remember how many times it was repeated but after a while my vision became more focused and I realised it was Henrik crouched in front of me speaking, trying to reassure me. It was only then that I noticed I was on my hands and knees on the ground. "Sister?" My eyes closed in horror at hearing the concern and panic in his voice. I opened them when his thumbs rubbed under my eyes. "When was the last time you slept?"

"Before I was taken. So, four days." I answered moving into a sitting position, my back against some stone. "I can't sleep." I admitted. "I tried napping earlier not having time to actually rest with everything going on and I couldn't. Every time I close my eyes, all I see is Papa Tunde. All I remember is pain." I picked up my Rune-star and fiddled with it. "I remember my magic turning against me and now it's not working properly." I held the Rune-star up. "This. I can't even use." I shook my head. "How stupid is that? A witch not able to use magic and a Kitsune not able to use runes."

"It's okay." I shook my head as he put an arm around my shoulders.

"No it's not." I spat getting up. "After everything I have been through the last thousand years, I shouldn't feel this way. It shouldn't affect me like it is. I have been through a lot; I have sacrificed myself over and over again. I have died in the most horrific ways, all for this family. Why am I feeling like this?" I shouted kicking some fallen stone.

"Because who you are was used against you." I faced him confused. He stood up and leaned back against a tomb. "You have been a witch in every life. You've always had magic; you have changed in so many ways over the years but that has stayed the same. They took the thing you have always counted on and turned it against you. For centuries, you have burned runes into your skin to make you stronger and he cut into you, did so to make you weak. She took the things you have loved most, the memories you cherished even if they were bad of the people you love, of the things you did to protect those you call family and she twisted them to cause you pain." He explained moving closer to me. Tears fell from my eyes. "That's why it's different. She didn't just do random things to torture you. She took the things you loved and turned them against you." He grabbed hold of my upper arms tightly. "You and I both know magic, our abilities, are ruled by our emotions. Fear blocks them and the only way to put it right is to face it." He stated squeezing before letting go and stepping back. "You've never been weak Loon. Don't start now. Face, it." He walked off then, leaving me by myself. He was right, I knew he was right.