New memories || thomas

The Newbie alarm rang loudly, piercing your ears. You clamped them shut with your hands, dimming the noise only slightly.

Everyone ran to the Box at the same time, all the boys rushing to get to see the new arrival. Many found it amusing to see the scared looks on the Greenie’s faces when they came out of the Box, even though they had been in their position once before, and it had been scary as hell.

The metal doors creaked open slowly, to reveal muscular yet lean boy. You couldn’t really tell what his height was based on the way he was laying down on top of the crates in the Box. His face scared and his hands shaking, he shielded his eyes from the light.

You were standing next to Gally before he jumped down into the box to retrieve the Greenie.

“Day one, Greenie. Rise and shine,” he spoke, yanking the Newbie up and throwing him out of the Box.

People made several different remarks about things that must have made the new boy feel terrified. He looked panicked and eventually ran away.

“You guys scared him out of his wits!” You slapped Fypans arm, yelling at him.

“Like the dude even has any, runnin’ away like that.”

He ran for a good while before tripping and falling, tumbling to the ground. People laughed and cheered, so you decided you had had enough, and went somewhere else.

You couldn’t help but feel an odd connection to the new boy. He seemed vaguely farmiliar. You wiped the though from your mind, deciding you must be very tired from the events of the day. You went as far away as you could from the commotion, and took a well deserved nap.

—–

You woke up to yelling, and it was already dark outside. You got up and walked to the loud noises, curious as to what your friends could be getting up to. Bonfires normally happened at this time of month, when a new Greenie came. You guessed the boys were just dancing and playing and having a good time, only to realize upon getting there that Gally had started a fight circle.

“Same ol’ Captain Gally…” you murmured to yourself. However, you did enjoy watching these, so you decided to join your friends.

When you got there, Gally was wrestling someone, he had the boy in a head lock under his arm, and pushed him to the ground towards you, and until that point you didn’t know who it was. Then he lifted his head up and stood up slowly, sort of tripping on his feet.

It was the Greenie.

You shoved him back in the circle and told him to fight well. He did… sort of. He knocked his opponent to the ground and smiled triumphantly before, yet again, being tripped by Gally. He landed directly on his head and you went over to him to help him get up.

Once he did, all had gone silent. His voice broke through and he shouted, “Thomas! I remember my name, it’s…it’s Thomas!”

After the moment it took for everyone to absorb what had happened, people started to gradually begin cheering and whooping, in a more supportive way than they had just that morning when he fell on his face. They patted Thomas on the back encouragingly and congratulated him.

Once you found out his name, the odd connection you felt earlier increased. You may have had your memories wiped… but you knew this Thomas kid.

Somehow.

—–

The next day, Alby approached you. He was with Thomas and you smiled at both of them.

“Hey, Alby. Thomas,” you greeted them.

Alby got close to you and spoke quietly, “I gotta go take care of Ben. Watch Greenbean over here for me, will ya?”

Even though you didn’t exactly feel comfortable being with Thomas right now, you agreed to help because Ben used to be one of your closest friends before he got stung in the Maze.

Alby patted your shoulder and walked off, leaving you alone with Thomas.

You held your hand out for him to shake. “Name’s Y/N. You’re Thomas, I hear?”

He took your hand and shook it lightly. “Yup.” He glanced at your arm and stared at a huge scar you had on your upper arm, a horizontal line that anyone could tell used to be a deep gash. “What happened?” He let go of your hand and traced over the scar lightly with his fingertips. A chill went down your spine and you hoped he didn’t notice.

“I don’t know. It was there when I got here, a huge scar. Kind of scared me, I have to say. You see, I made up a story that Newt, you met Newt, right?” he nodded. “Cool. Anyway, he hated me for the first few weeks I was here, so he sliced my arm with a machete. He didn’t really do that, he never would, but he didn’t really like me for a little while, so after I yelled at him for giving me a horrible scar, we laughed about it and kind of became friends. Like I said, he never really cut open my arm with a machete, but it was fun to make up a memory.”

You and Thomas had spent the entire day together, even with the arrival of a new Greenie, who was a girl. She arrived in a coma which was a bit strange, but she was recovering in the Med-Jacks hut.

You had bonded through multiple things that were so minimal they only applied to Glade life.

By the end of the day, you had become great friends, and Alby seemed pleased.

That night, the Glade was saying goodnight and you ran into Thomas.

“Goodnight, Thomas!” you exclaimed, hugging him. In the moment you locked arms, you entered a hazy flashback.

~

You are in a vast, desert-like area with lots of broken down buildings. You are running from odd, zombie-like creatures. One is about to catch up with you when you hear a loud voice yell, “Y/N!” You see Thomas running ahead of you, he is ahead of you by quite a lot. He turns completely to face you and your struggling form trying to get away from the monsters, and he throws a knife at the—you rack your brain endlessly for the answer—Crank… behind you. Slicing your arm deeply in the process of flying towards the Crank, the knife plunged into the creature’s chest. You gasped at the blood trickling quickly from your arm and snap back into reality.
~

“Y/N… are you alright?”

You look up to see Thomas with his arms still slightly wrapped around you, and you gasp, looking down at your arm. Seeing only the scar, you pull away from your new friend.

“Yeah, I’m fine, just tired. Goodnight.” You rush away from Thomas and go off to your sleeping place.

You were awestruck. Feeling your scar, you realized something. You knew you knew him, and that was how.

Thomas had once saved your life.

—–