9. Big Girls Dont Cry

I sat in my room, shaking from crying so much. Hyperventilating got worse the more I thought about it. I wrapped my arms around myself, because I needed comfort but I also wanted to be alone. Ever since that phone call, I couldn't pull myself together. I was too weak to pull myself together.

FLASHBACK

"Just give it up, Riley, you ain't gonna win." Two said, with his muscles bulging as we arm wrestled. I re-gripped my sweaty palm around his, and did my best to pin him down.

"Are you just saying that so I'd give up?" I said, doing my best to not make my arm go down. I knew I had no chance, Two is certainly stronger than me. He was the King of arm wrestling, well, him or Steve.

"Come on, Two, she's a girl." Steve said with a mouthful of popcorn. "You can take her."

"You got it, Riley!" Ponyboy cheered me on.
With that burst of motivation, I pushed a little harder and Two's hand got a little closer to the table. With his burst of motivation, he tackled my arm to the table.

"Damn." I laughed, massaging my arm.

"Round two?" He asked, putting his arm into position.

"I'm retiring." I chuckled and cracked my elbow.

The phone rang and Darry answered it.

"Oh, okay. Yeah, I'll get her on." Darry said. "Riley, its for you."

"Okay." I said cheerfully and skipped over to the phone.

"Hello?"

"Good morning. Is this Ms Riley Fields?"

"Yes, this is she." I said. The boys all quieted down and Johnny appeared in front of me. I could tell by the tone of the guys voice, that it was serious. I got nervous.

"Are you the sister of Robert Fields?"

"Yeah." I licked my lips.

"I regret to inform you, but Mr. Fields died earlier this morning in combat."

Those words echoed through my ears, and everything felt like it drained out of me.

"What?" I choked out.

"I'm sorry, ma'am, we can-"

I hung up on started sobbing.

"Oh, oh, Riley." Two said uncomfortably.

"What's wrong?" Pony asked.

"My brother died." I sobbed and collapsed in a pile of tears.

"Oh, Riley." Johnny came running to me and hugged me. His presence made me feel shiver, but I liked having him there.

"Man, suck it up buttercup." Dally said. "My folks probably don't even know I'm dead, let alone care."

I wanted to spit something back at him, but I couldn't with all the boys there. I simply glared at him and did my best to stop crying. All the boys were staring at me, not knowing what to do or say. I don't think they are used to tears.

"I think I'd rather be alone right now." I said. I got up and ran to my bedroom and slammed the door shut. I could tell that my emotions made the gang uncomfortable, which was fine. They weren't the type.

I threw myself onto my bed and cried into my pillow. The last familiar member I actually considered family, was dead. And I'll never see him again.

I got chills on my back so I looked up to see Johnny trying to comfort me.

"You okay?" He asked.

"No." I sniffed.

"I'm sorry for those guys, they don't know how to react to someone who cries."

"No kidding." I said, wiping my eyes.

"I'm here for you." Johnny said, sitting down next to me.

"Thanks, Johnny." I said.

"I just want you to know, I'd never do anything to hurt you or make you worry." He said, trying to hug me but his arm went right through me. Instead, he kissed the top of my head.

"Except haunt me?" I joked, and sniffed.

"Except haunt you." He chuckled lightly.

"I really wish we gotten to know each other a little better, before you, ah, died."

"Me too." He sighed. He gave me a hug and made a freezing kiss to my cheek.

END FLASHBACK

The door knocked, interrupting my thoughts and there stood Ponyboy.

"Hey, um, are you alright?" He asked. "We figured you wanted space."

"Yeah, I'm okay." I wiped the dried tear off my red cheek.

"Okay, there is some dinner if you're hungry." He said.

I hopped off the bed and followed him to the table. Everyone started talking like nothing happened.

I think that's why greasers are always so tense and moody. We never talk about anything. We shove our feelings deep down, but someday, we blow our top.