Working for a Cowboy - Chapter 1

Ugh what a shitty way to start the day. In my new small house. In Adelaide. At 7 in the morning. I moved here to get away. from my nightmare of a home. Not that it was scary, it's just living there with a bunch of insane people that gets me on edge. I hate it. So now I'm here in bed with my little pomeranian girl, Laska. She is white and fluffy and smells of bubbles. Wait I washed her yesterday. Good one idiot.

My iPhone started to ring with 'silk' as my ringtone. I picked it up sighing "Hello?"

"Good morning Dakota! how are you on this fine day?"

"Im good thanks Belinda. What's happening?"

"Sam has called in sick. And we have a pretty busy day ahead, can you please fill in for her?"

"Yeah sure no worries. What time would you like me there?"

"Ah 11 o'clock please"

"Alright I'll get ready, I won't be late. I'll buy you a coffee too"

"Thank you. I'll see you then" and with that I hung up my phone. Every now and then I work at the vets to help with surgery. Like, you know, passing tools around and sometimes taking over if it's dramatic. I try not to but I'm a high skilled animal surgeon and I really don't like being praised. It's uncomfortable so I try and stay away as much as I can and go if I'm really needed. I immediately got out of bed and went to the kitchen for breakfast. The walls were a nice comforting turquoise blue and the tiles are white marble. Nice and elegant for a small home. I love it. I grabbed some Weet-Bix and added chopped bananas and raspberries. Sounds weird but it is delicious! I also made myself a milkshake with strawberries, blueberries, celery and macadamia nuts. Yeah yeah that's weird too but with the right amount of each ingredient it is simply divine!

I sat down on my couch and continued to read 'The Hunger Games: Catching Fire' by Suzanne Collins. Reading chapter seventeen I can't help but visualise the scenes in my head. 'Peeta walks me down to my room in silence, but before he can say goodnight, I wrap my arms around him and rest my head against his chest. His hands slide up my back and his cheek leans against my hair. "I'm sorry if I made things worse," I say.' Ugh why do I read the books and not watch the movies? because I'm a weird person like that. I get lost in my thoughts when I read books.

After reading about 25 pages I get up and do my make up. Nothing special. As I'm applying my foundation, I think about my work at the bar. The smell of scotch, the sound of the men cracking open a can of beer, and the sight of beautifully mixed cocktails. It's the life. It's the best job ever. And good pay too for a bartender. Now I'm putting on my mascara. Not too thick. Just perfect to make my lashes look long but natural. And not for the baby pink lipstick. My favourite, it completes any look from plain, to the wild outgoing part chick, to the whole 'look I'm a hooker!'. I go into the living room and done 50 squats and 35 lunges.

"Laska! Laska where are you? Laska!" I called and my tiny little pup came for me. I giggled because she runs funny when she is exited. She knows we're going for a walk. "Get your lead Laska" and she runs into my room and grabs the lead off of the bed. She is such an obedient dog, and she listens well too. I put the baby pink lead onto her collar that's the same colour. Then we quickly went out of the door for a run.

Shit I forgot my headphones. So I unlock the door and grabbed them and quickly got out and locked the door again.

I've planned to run a couple of blocks to keep up my fitness. I get to a road an looked both ways twice before crossing, and then I get to the middle of that road and then there is a Ford of some kind driving straight towards me and Laska. I was in so much shock I stood there like a deer in the headlights hoping he would swerve away. The man driving that car held a gun in my direction "SHIT!!" I screamed and I picked up Laska and started sprinting onto the footpath again. We was following us and shot a person as they walked past me. Following my gut I ran to the lady who had been shot just above her left hip. Being an animal surgeon I knew far more than a doctor so I put Laska down and carried the injured lady to the closest house. I walked into a moderate yard and knocked on the door loudly, then I heard the Ford.