14 - Curing A Princess

Some moments pass as the Doctor attempts to ask Adelaide a few questions.

"She's too ill to answer, sir," the maid speaks up and says. "We were hoping you could cure her before her brother's coronation."

"That's today?" he asks, like he was planning on attending, and it slipped his mind.

Rhiannon just nods as she wrings out a wet rag. Placing the rag on the young princess's forehead, she sighs. "Her sickness came over her very suddenly. Some of the maids suggested it was all of the singing she did, because her parents often ask her to sing for the guests at parties and the like. But she just shakes her head every time we suggest it."

I glance to the Doctor quickly. "Maybe if I tried asking her simple yes or no questions," I begin saying as he turns to look back at me. He smirks and gestures to the bed.

Then I move closer to Adelaide, taking a seat on the edge of her four poster bed. She looks at me, and I can see hope in her eyes; she knows we're here to help - or to try, at least.

"Is your voice in the wardrobe?" She nods her head slowly.

"Did you put them in there?" I watch as she seems to think about it, then shakes her head.

The Doctor calls out from behind me, "Did something blue and slimy put your voice in there?"

Her eyes seem to widen as she nods. The Doctor just smirks. It looks like the princess opens her mouth to try to speak, but she's thrown into a coughing fit again. Rhiannon hands her a handkerchief quickly. Then the servant pours some water from a tray on the bedside table to give her. When Adelaide's coughing is over, I put a hand comfortingly on her wrist.

"We'll get your voice back," I say to her quietly, "I promise." She gives me a smile, and I smile back.

"Alright, Adelaide," the Doctor says, "and Rhiannon, I think it's time we g-"

"Princess," a man exclaims, interrupting the Doctor as he enters. "Your doctor is here." He bows very low to the ground. I stand up quickly, looking to him with wide eyes. When he stands up straight, he acknowledges the Doctor and me. "Who are you?" His voice is posh, and when he addresses us, it's like he has something between his teeth that he's trying to get out.

"Just -" I start, trying to think of who we aren't.

"Friends," the Doctor says quickly before pulling me out of the room past the confused doctor. We keep running until we're out of the castle, through the garden, and right at the TARDIS.

I'm panting. "So," I breathe, "I think that... creature," I pant some more, putting my hands on my knees, "I'm so out of shape." The Doctor nods and leans against the TARDIS, wheezing. "It wasn't even that far of a run!" My gaze stares out across the garden. It seems to be about 30 yards between us and the castle, and then the you have to put into consideration how long it would take you to get from the end of one wing to the center of the building - which looks just as long as the garden.

"What were you saying about the creature?" The Doctor walks around the TARDIS to unlock it.

I follow him, saying, "I think the creature sent the message. I mean, we didn't see anyone where we were told to meet, so who else could it be?"

"I thought the maid was just a flirt," he replies, walking into the spaceship. I roll my eyes, smirking a bit.

"So," I say, leaning against the railing, "it's a blue and slimy alien?"

"Yes," the Doctor says, poking information into the monitor quickly. "A Karusku," he shouts triumphantly. "Not that rare, but rare for Earth. They feed off of voices," the Doctor explains as he turns to me. "Usually, they feed off of the voices of Chennas and Gloppers - who sound very pretty, if you ask me."

I smile a bit at his last comment and look at my shoes. "Wait," I say, looking up to the Doctor again, "what are we going to tell Rhiannon and Adelaide - and everyone else, for that matter? How are we going to get rid of this creature?"

He looked to the monitor, trying to find the answer. Then he looked back at me, and I could see worry in his eyes.