Chapter 10

Chapter Ten

Delaney

"Are you alright, Delaney?"

I looked up, startled. Ms. Shea was standing a few feet away, holding one of my books and smiling sadly. Her wedges clicked on the linoleum floor as she approached.

"Here," she said, handing me the book.

"Thanks," I murmured shyly. I continued stuffing all my things back into my bag, expecting my teacher to go back to her desk. She didn't. Instead, she just stood there, watching me with a concerned expression.

"Are you alright?" she asked again.

I was a bit wary of her, but I smiled. "Fine," I assured, shouldering my backpack. "Why wouldn't I be?"

Ms. Shea frowned. "I heard the last bit of your conversation with Carlie when I was in the other room"—she waved a hand at the door to the adjoining music room—"and I didn't like what I heard at all. Delaney, she was threatening you. As your teacher, I'd highly recommend that you tell the principal before matters get out of hand. Now, I can—"

"I'm fine, Ms. Shea." The words came out roughly, like I was angry, though I wasn't. "Thanks for your concern," I amended, "but I'm alright, I promise."

Her frown merely deepened. "Are you sure? Because if she's bothering you, I can arrange for you to meet with Mr. Kastner," she insisted. "You shouldn't have to put up with her."

"Really, Ms. Shea. I'm okay." Before she could say anything more, I hurried past her. My hand was on the doorknob when she called my name.

"Delaney."

I froze, but didn't turn around.

"Look at me, please." Ms. Shea's voice was so serious that I had no choice but to obey. I inched around in a half circle until I was facing her.

"Popularity isn't everything," she stated, her dark eyes full of an emotion I couldn't place.

"I know," I said softly. My fingers were itching to open the door.

"You're not listening."

"No, I am. You said that Popularity isn't everything."

"That's not what I meant. You heard the words, sure, but you didn't understand them."

I didn't bother to argue; I just wanted to leave.

"Please just listen," Ms. Shea begged. "Everyone makes it seem like being Popular is the only thing that matters, and if you aren't Popular, then you're worthless. That isn't true. Popularity is unnecessary, to say the least. And the importance that's placed on it is just...disgusting." Her expression was conflicted, guarded, as if she wanted to say something more but couldn't. It gave me the creeps.

"That's all," Ms. Shea whispered, not seeming like a teacher at all. "Go ahead and go. And be careful, Delaney."

After a final confused glance back at my teacher, I pushed open the door and stepped into the empty hallway. Soon, I'd be safe. But just as I was walking out the front doors, someone grabbed my arm. I whirled around and held up my hands, as if that would protect me from the harsh words I was expecting.

They didn't come.

I slowly lowered my hands and found myself staring into the face of a boy who looked vaguely familiar, but I couldn't think of who he was. His facial structure suggested that he was part Asian, and he had jet black hair and dark eyes. He wasn't conventionally attractive, exactly; or at least, not in the way that Caleb was. His mouth was a little too big, and his eyes a little too close together. But his features were very open, and with his bemused expression and single raised eyebrow, I knew he meant me no harm.