Enders (20)

"Violet Olivia King!"

At the sound of this voice, I jumped, waking up immediately. It took me a moment to take in my surroundings; it'd been so long since I'd slept in my bed that I'd almost forgotten that that was where I was.

I then noticed that I was not in bed alone. Dex's arms were wrapped around me, my head on his shoulder before I'd been woken up. Dex must have been a heavy sleeper, because even having slamming the door open and screaming didn't seem to wake him up.

Lena stared at me, eyes wide at the scene before her. I glanced over to see that Kristie wasn't in her bed, and I wondered what time it was for her to have gotten up and to warrant Lena's screaming.

I hadn't even been back for twenty-four hours, and this was what I had to deal with. Honestly, I didn't know if I was lucky to have a friend like her, or cursed.

When Dex and I had returned from our ice cream date, Kristie was already asleep. We'd decided that as long as we were quiet, then we could both sleep in the same bed together. After her breakdown earlier, the last thing we wanted to do was bother her or make her feel uncomfortable.

Lena was just staring at us. Clearly she had not been expecting to find someone in my bed with me, and I couldn't think of anything to say, beside that nothing happened, but I knew that that would only incriminate me more and make it look like I was denying it.

"How do you even know my middle name?" I questioned, because this seemed to have been the first question to come to my mind in my groggy state. Even I hadn't known the reason behind my middle name until I'd come to the DAU. Apparently, Olivia had been the name of my father's mother, my grandmother. She was a human who'd had no idea her husband was a superhuman, and when she finally found out, she thought he'd been possessed and killed him. Clearly, the whole superhuman story didn't go over well with the human justice system.

I wondered if she ever found out my father, her only son, was a superhuman like his father had been. I didn't know anything else other than the basics; I didn't even know if she was still alive or not.

"Not important," Lena waved away to answer my question, and I figured she was right and didn't press on.

She looked from Dex and then to me and back and forth over and over again. I was waking up more now and finally realizing what she thought had happened between us, but before I could deny anything, she was going off on a tangent again.

"Not only do you leave without even saying anything to me, and then come back without saying to me, but now you're in bed with this strange man!" Lena placed the back of her hand on her forehead, and I didn't even try to speak up to tell her that I didn't really think Dex would be considered strange. "I thought I was your best friend!"

She was, and at this point I couldn't tell if she was joking around or not. Lena normally played around and teased the people she was close to, but I'd also seen the times where she had flown off the handle. I couldn't tell which was happening right then.

"Your innocence!" she continued, clasping her hands over her eyes. "It's gone! My poor Violet!"

"What is with all the screaming?" a new voice demanded, and now Nay was bounding her way over, Hank behind her. I immediately started flailing, trying to get as far away from Dex, but my bed was a twin size and I felt like my legs would give out on me if I tried to stand.

"You're allowing this under your roof?" Lena demanded once Hank and Nay had took in the situation, gesturing to Dex and I, the former still asleep while I laid there, frozen. "Oh, the inhumanity!"

"We didn't do anything!" I hissed, finally pushing myself up away from Dex and into a sitting position. "We were just sleeping!"

Suddenly, Lena's over-the-top frantic behavior disappeared and was replaced with a look of distaste. "Are you serious?"