Eleven

When I open my eyes the next morning, I find it isn't actually morning, but early afternoon. I don't feel the familiar dread of finding myself alive for another day. Instead, it's almost as if I'm looking forward to the day ahead. More specifically, looking forward to seeing the gorgeous greek god sleeping in the living room. I mentally slap myself for being so cliché, but greek god is an understatement when describing Parker Grant. I've only known him about a month and he's already got himself embedded under my skin, along with the fear that he might be digging his way straight for the stone that I call my heart. Despite this, I hope that he isn't in the next room when I walk out, showered, dressed and teeth brushed.

From the snores emanating from the couch, I know he is. It's to my relief that he's still asleep. I'm not sure how I should face him. Or how I can face him. For some reason, everything feels awkward between us, even with him just asleep. It felt exceptionally awkward being in the same room. In the clarity of the day, the kiss we'd shared seemed different. I know for a fact I should have kept him at an arm's length. Too much trust, too soon could be deadly.

Forgetting the moment is much easier said than done, especially when I can't seem to get his damn eyes out of my head for more than moments at a time. I'm almost angry with myself for being so vulnerable. What in the hell was so damn different about this man that he's got me almost in love with merely the idea of him. I clench my fists, my earlier mood forgotten and dumped down the drain along with the rest of the sappy thoughts.

Besides, we're not normal people. Normal people meet in bistros and go on dates and fall in love slowly and sweetly. Normal doesn't work for us. We're assassins. We don't get attached and we certainly can't fall in love. I'm living proof of why we shouldn't. Too many emotional ties can be hazardous in our line of work, and I'm lucky Nickolas escaped before anyone tried to use him against me. I stare down at the sleeping man, wondering how someone with so much blood on his hands could possibly look so much like an angel. I sigh and turn away, a tiny bit of me hating him for making me feel these things I'd only ever felt once before. If that one time had left me in such pieces, what could the second time entail?

I'd prefer not to find out.

Instead, I grab one of the room cards and hurry out the door before Parker can wake up and smile at me with those perfect lips. I walk the little ways down the hall towards the elevator, and press the button. It takes a few seconds, but the bell dings and I step in, not completely comprehending the people already in the elevator.

"Oh, em, geee. Aimee, this is Adrianna, Zane's new partner." I blink, at the sudden mention of my name and turn to Veronica. She's standing there, in all her regal blonde glory with a petite Asian friend who, by the look of it, would rather be anywhere else. Asian girl looks at me, then turns away bored.

"Uh-huh," She yawns.

"So, where's Grant? Finally find someone worth his time," She sniffs, looking me up and down. I remember how they'd flirted openly on our way back from the airport, Zane obviously too oblivious to notice how much of a whore his current girlfriend is. I almost feel good about tearing them apart, considering how much better off he is without her.

"Asleep, where I left him," I smile, ignoring the glare Veronica sends me. "How about Zane? I'm meeting him for lunch, did he mention?" I ask, tilting my head slightly. Veronica seethes even more, clenching her teeth.

"No."

"Oh, I thought he would have." The elevator reaches the ground floor and I step out and into the lobby. The two girls file out, the taller blonde glaring daggers at me as I cross towards the main desk. I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror behind the desk, my raven hair falling in uneven curls all around my shoulders. I hadn't bothered to style it in any specific way, deciding on a casual look for the lunch.