Twenty-One

After dinner, Taylor told me it was their family tradition to have a movie marathon of any geeky series. Last year was Star Wars and this year, the honour goes to Harry Potter, which, she told me would be the third time they're watching in an occasion.

I clearly have no idea if we'd really watch the whole series because that is way too long for just one night.

Most of the family are settled on the couch whereas I chose to sit on the rug as it's much more comfortable. Taylor sat beside me the entire time, offering me popcorn every once in a while.

By the time the first movie has ended, most of the kids are already upstairs in their bedrooms, asleep whereas the stronger ones are still watching the Chamber of Secrets. Although little Timmy is still here, taking pictures every once in a while.

"Do you want to go home?" Taylor asked softly. I looked at my watch and it's already twelve, midnight.

Maybe I should.

I rubbed my eyes, "Sure."

"Right," she whispered. "Mom, Harry kind of needs to uh --"

Mrs. Gleeson nodded along. I sort of felt bad that they have to pause the movie for me but that's what they did earlier when Jessa left as well.

Everyone who is still awake came towards the doorway, only to see me leave. Although Taylor had told me she'd accompany me outside.

"Drive safely, Harry," Mr. Gleeson said.

"Yes, sir. Thank you for this evening." I tried my best to be polite as ever, a few things already came naturally though.

After exchanging a bunch of goodbyes and such, I was finally allowed to leave. Except as I was almost turning around, a blinding flash came over as it was pointed directly to me.

I glanced at Taylor and she immediately said, "It's not me."

Then I saw it was Timothy who had been taking pictures of scenes from earlier. He giggled and ran to the other room. A few members of the family apologised to me for some reasons. . . including Taylor.

"I'm so sorry, he does that to every guy or girl we go out with," she said.

"Why?" I asked.

Taylor sighed, grabbing one of her coats and a purple beanie. "So just in case you try to murder me, you wouldn't get away with it because he has your picture."

Oh.

"So sorry for that," Mrs. Gleeson said.

I gave her a smile to let her know it's alright even if it's a strange thing. They're a family consisted of strange people, but there was no insult to that. In fact, I admire the way they held their traditions, despite the horrible realities of the world.

"Yeah, okay um," Taylor said. "We'll get going."

"Sure. You two stay safe," said Gary Gleeson. We all said our farewells and we walked out.

Taylor took me by the arm the moment the door shut, making me walk faster. "Don't look back, they'll embarrassed if you catch them looking at us through the window," she said calmly.

I almost turned my head out of curiosity. But before I did, her grip had gone tighter on my arm so I didn't. I realised, right then that the temperature outside was lower than I expected. I really did want to put my hands in my pockets but with her grasp on one arm, the other was hopeless.

"I mean it, don't look back. Where's your car?" She asked.

"Parked it 'round the block," I answered, putting one free arm inside my pocket. "It's alright, I can take it from here."