Chapter Six [Part 2/3]: Between A Mop Bucket & A Scalpel

-Kate Andersen-   

The electric fence was high and barbwire decorated its top like tinsel on a Christmas tree. Beyond it was a large industrial building, cast in shadows by the night. My eyes could detect a guard walking about, a dog at his side. Another guard standing stationary outside a small 'side' entrance where a flickering  overhead florescent lamp hung, casting the pale concrete of the wall in grey and the guard in an unholy white.

"When we get inside, stay quiet." Rin warned, slipping a small silver ring onto her engagement finger, "Just remember the plan and what I told you, and you'll get through it."

I tried to clear my throat quietly, my saliva had turned thick and felt as if it was clogging up my airway. The rain had not subsided from earlier, it was dripping from my hair, tickling the skin on my face. The feel of the little droplets ran through me, making me feel strange. Connected to them. Just like when I'd had the shower last night. The drops were also falling from the electric fence in front of us, and that made me feel less relaxed by it.

"How are we even getting over that?" I trembled pessimistically.

Rin looked at me, a subtle smile creeping across her lips. She watched that the first guard had passed by, then took hold of my wrist and elbow. She threw me up into the air, just clearing the barb atop the fence, apart from snagging a bit of wool from my sleeve. I crashed into mud and grass, on the other side. Rolling to a holt to watch Rin take a step back and lunge up, her leap cleared the fence and allowed her to land on her feet, dainty as a ballerina in a zero gravity environment. I grumbled, feeling a wave of jealousy warp through me. She was practically perfect and I was just a mess. Even with smeared blood on her cheek from the cut that had healed there, she was still perfect.

She shot me an impatient glance, yanking me up by the back of the ripped up sweater dress and let me down onto my feet.  

"Keep low," She whispered, crouching.

"I was low, until you picked me up." I muttered, she shot me a raised eyebrow look and I crossed my arms, lowering myself a little. "Fine."

The patrolling guard had just walked around the corner of the building and out of sight. Rin moved forward in a blur towards the door. She came out of her speedy transit directly in front of the guard stationed there. His eyes widened as her index and middle fingers pressed sharp and hard into the hollow beneath his adams-apple. He was on the ground trying to breathe whilst she plucked from inside his jacket a key-card. She turned to look at me over her shoulder and nodded her head forward for me to follow. I sped towards her, feeling the world blur behind me, I'd forgotten so quickly how exhilarating it was to run. Now all my muscles ignited with energy, until the moment I stopped next to her and felt it plummet.

The guard was beginning to turn an inhuman colour on the floor, still gasping for air with his hands wrapped around his bruising throat. I stared down at him and bit my lip as Rin ran the key-card through the door lock and then squinted her eyes at the keys next to it. She danced her fingers gently in a sequence, not pressing any button yet, then took a deep breath and tapped them in. A low beep registered, a small blinking red light turned green and the sound of a lock barrel rolling over. Rin pulled the door open and yanked me in with her, holding me close to the wall guardedly.

Inside, the corridors were dark. It was around 2:14 AM and she'd said this was practically dead hour here. There was a single buzzing florescent light panel still on every fifteen yards down the hall and I could see diverging corridors ahead. The walls were dull cream, but looked dismal grey and sickly. The security camera blinked at us. Rin smirked up at it, waved a hand, then blurred towards the first. The next thing I knew the light had blinked out and she was motioning me forward.