Chapter 2

Rowan stood at the the bow of the ship, the captain standing in front of him, half terrified and half angry with having to get up this early. Rowan could smell it off of him, even through the stench of the captains unwashed body. Rowan had tried to look as respectable as possible, even in their current situation. He had washed and was wearing the cleanest clothes he could find, even if they were a little rumpled. His heart hammered as he waited for Aelin to emerge. Aedion was stood beside him, wearing his best attire as well. Aedion gave Rowan a quick closed-mouth smile before bringing his eyes back to the door. His eyes caught on something and his mouth opened slightly in shock, his face going slack.

Rowan looked back at the door to find her standing there. She was wearing a shirt and pants, simple but with elegant details of gold and green thread. Her hair had been swept away from her face and held back with two pins. Lysandra appeared behind her, smiling with a knowing look in her eyes. It wasn't the clothes or looks that shocked the men, but the queen that stood before them. Aelin was not just simply standing before them, but Aelin Galathynius of the Wildfire, Queen to Terrasen. Her whole body radiated the aura of a queen. She did not need to wear a crown, or to dress in fancy clothes to be regal. To be her. His own breath caught at the sight of her, his heart racing even faster than before. A small, sly smile caught on that wicked mouth of hers and she took a step out into the air. Lysandra walked around her to stand beside Aedion, giving him a smile and she looked back to Aelin's approaching form.

The sun had not yet risen but the sky was getting lighter in the east as the stars began to disappear. And she walked towards him, Rowan became surer and surer of the fact that she was his mate. He had known for a little while now, but it scared him. Ever since he had thrown himself in front of her to save Skulls Bay, he had known she was his mate. In fact, it terrified him out of his mind, but that was not something to bring up now. He couldn't face that just yet. He shoved it back down as she came closer. And he couldn't burden her with it either. He knew that it was a petty excuse to use, but he needed time to figure it all out.

As she got close enough to touch, he reached out and she took his hand. They were then standing in front of each other. Him towering over her. He felt the tension around them rising but before he could say anything she spoke.

"I thought I had said to dress your best?" Rowan laughed and the others chucked as the tension disappeared. They faced the captain, who wasn't smiling, as he began to speak.

"We have gathered here today to witness the joining of these two people." He stopped to cough and spit, a tooth flying out onto the deck. No one said anything as he straightened again, one tooth less and continued.

"Does anyone have any objections?" A brief pause but Aedion and Lysandra only smiled, the attention now switched to them. Gruffly he continued, probably disappointed he could have to actually continue the wedding. "Good. Okay, now for the vows. You go first." He pointed a knobbly finger at Rowan and they turned towards one another, holding both hands now, he looked into her eyes and they both smiled. They simply looked at each other for a moment before he started.

"My Fireheart. There is no end to the love I have for you, no words that can measure the unending depths of this love, this fire within me." She began to cry then, silent tears running down her beautiful face. He lifted a hand and wiped them away. He didn't need to finish his speech, she could read it in his eyes.

No matter how far she is, not matter what happens. He will be there for her always. To whatever end. She took a breath then, briefly closing her eyes before she steeled herself and looked back up at him.

"You basically stole my speech, you buzzard." He laughed and he glimpsed Lysandra crying Aelin, taking the handkerchief. He smiled back down at his queen as another tear fell to her cheek. She left it there and she continued on. "But I do love you, more than words can say. You found me in darkness, and we found a way out of that darkness together. I can face anything now with you. No matter how dark things get, I know now that we can find our way through it. To whatever end, Rowan. To whatever end."

They stood silently together in the dawn, the ocean the only sound between them. Aelin's eyes searched his own as she seemed to say No matter what happens, no matter where we go, I will love you. Even when the world is dust and we cease to be remembered, I will love you.

The captain coughed pointedly and they looked up at him. He was clearly uncomfortable and tired. So they turned back to him and he continued with the ceremony. "Okay can we get the rings and the papers please? I have a ship to manage" Aedion handed over a small wood box, pain and unadorned to the captain. He signed the documents Lysandra were holding then Aelin, the captain and everyone else as witnesses to their marriage. After the official documents were signed and stored away by Aedion and the captain, the caption opened the box and handed a ring to Rowan. "Do you Rowan take Aelin to be your wife?"

Rowan smiled at his queen, his lover, his mate and said "To whatever end". He slipped the ring onto her finger, the perfect fit for her delicate, strong fingers. Turning back to hold his queen, not wanting to let her go. She squeezed his hands before drawing away to take his ring.

"Do you Aelin take Rowan to be your husband?" As she slipped the ring onto his finger, his had dwarfing hers, se looked right into his soul then, stripping down his ever defence as she spoke into him, to his every essence.

"To whatever end."