Chapter 10-

Chapter 10:

As I heard the news of the horrors of the revolutionaries I decided to amble over the the small village's only tavern. I figured that I would be able to discover more news there, than the gossip that the town cryer was spreading. My brother would never do something so underhanded as to attack and kill innocent people. Edward was a chivalrous knight and that was how I would forever picture him.

When I stepped foot inside of the Red Moon Tavern I was shocked at who stood before me. Louis, Edward and a few other revolutionaries were seated at a table against the back wall, while Leonardo was sitting between the two bandits at the bar. I was livid. That traitor, and I had the audacity to think that he even card for me. I can't believe that I had ever loved him. But in all honesty I felt like my heart was breaking. Leo had left me to die. He didn't have any feelings of remorse for leaving me behinds, because he was laughing and joking and having a merry good time at the bar.

Instead of approaching Leonardo and his comrades I marched over to Louis and my brother Edward and I planted a kiss on Louis' cheek. From the corner of my eye I saw Leo's jaw drop and his eyes fill with rage and jealousy. I was going to savor this until someone would finally give me an explanation.

"So you finally got here." Louis said with a smirk on his lips.

"Leo, he just left me..." I stuttered.

"Oh don't be such a child." Louis stated. "Don't you know that it was a test?" 

"A wha-" I began.

"Eleanor, come with me I need to talk to you." My brother interrupted as he motioned me to follow him. We traipsed out of the tavern and into the cool evening air.

Edward began talking in a hushed whisper. "Listen, you know how you are betrothed to Louis. Well I don't think he is a good match for you, I want to protect you El."

"But only father, could break the engagement..." I said.

"No, I am your legal guardian now, and I have the power to stop it if that is your wish." Edward said.

"Well, he's not that bad, but-" I trailed off as I began losing myself in my thought.

"I just want to protect you. That is what big brothers are for isn't it." He said with a smile upon his face.

We were interrupted from our conversation by Douglas bursting out of the tavern. "There's a problem sir. We need you back in there immediately..." Douglas breathed before collapsing from a stab wound.

I gasped as I ran to help him. "Go!" I yelled to my brother who looked dumbfounded. "Go see what's wrong."

I helped Douglas to his feet and wrapped up the wound with a part of his shirt. Then I peaked through the door to see a gruesome scene...