The Deal

Thank you so much for the lovely cover Scarlet_Shilouette! :)

I know I'm already working on two other stories but i couldn't help myself. Tell me what you think, and should i continue?

...................

Bree was walking down the path that led down to the old park. The park that nobody ever used anymore, because of all the disappearances that have been taking place in the forest beside it.  Bree liked that it was empty it left the whole park to herself, although she shouldn’t have gone their alone.

Her mother told her to come straight home from school but Bree hadn’t listened and wasn’t afraid. She had been stuck doing nothing for a long time and she wanted to play. Taking out her ball out of her backpack, before playing she held it in her chubby eight year old finger a bit longer as she nervously stole a glance over at the dark looming forest behind. Taking a big breath she started throwing her ball around and catching it. She used to come here all the time with her father and mother and this was always the best playground in town to play ball.

Twirling in her pink sun dress she threw the ball at the side of the slide. It bounced off and hit her on the head, causing her to tumble down on to the grass in a bundle of pink material. A giggle escaped her mouth as she eyed the ball.

 “You are one naughty bouncy ball, mister” she said pointing a purple glittered finger nail at it.

She heard a soft laugh behind her echo loud in quietness of the playground. Twirling around fast to face the sound, she thought she saw a small smile of a blue eyed boy between the forest trees but it or he was gone as fast as the wind. Gulping down her nerves, and with her hands slightly shaking as she brushed off the dust and leaves, she turned her back to the forest and decided it was time to go home.

Just as she was about to bend down and pick up her ball it blew out from under her hands flying like a paper air plane caught in the breeze to land a few meters in front of the forest. She starred at the ball then back at the forest then back at the ball again. Taking in a big breath she forced her wobbly legs towards the ball and again right as she was about to grasp the ball it bounced away passing the invisible line of light into the dark forest. Biting back tears, that was her favorite ball, it was the only one she had with all the princess's on it. She was frightened of the weird happenings, and she knew she would have to turn around and go home because it was too dangerous to enter the forest.

If her mother saw her even this close she’d have an earful. Turning back around starting to walk back in the direction of her house she heard the soft boyish laugh again bounce off the trees and echo in her ears. It made her mad, who dares laugh at her and if this was someone’s joke it was certainly was not funny. Flicking her dark brown hair out of her face and losing all good sense of judgment about turning around and walking away, she faced the forest.

She wanted to teach this boy a lesson, whoever he was but her mother had said ‘never enter the forest Bree, there are dangerous things in there.’ Biting her lip in debate, but her thoughts were made up when she heard the annoying laugh again and ignoring all sense and her mother’s warning that had been drilled into her since she could walk she held her fist tight and walked over into the dark forest. Even an 8 year old had to be brave at times.

 When she entered, It was as if suddenly all sound was cut off and she was deaf. The forest was still and quite. Walking straight ahead bravely holding her head high with purpose she went to find her ball. Light was fading behind her, and dark patches were sketched in every corner. A spine chilling shiver went up her spine at the thought of what creatures would be hiding in them.

Whispers murmured around her but she dismissed it as the effect of the steady wind blowing through the distorted trees. Walking faster and deeper into the forest , ignoring the scratching of branches and grimy leaves against her skin until she realized she had lost all sense of direction and was lost. Looking around her hopelessly, she heard more laughs and chuckles.