Chapter 1: Early life

Growing up, some things came easy and others hard. For me they were hard. My family; consisting of my parents, brother and I moved around a lot. We were always moving and although getting to see the world was great, leaving my friends wasn't.

         you see my parents were in the army as a doctor and nurse in this on going war. before my brother and I were born my father enlisted and in his travels he met my mother in a small town just outside Indianapolis. She was going to med school, more specifically nursing school, while he, already an army physician, had come during his leave to visit family. they fell in love and she followed him into the war when she was done with schooling. Not to long after they had my brother Steve and I, Kara.

Twins born on our Nations Independence Day. We were born on a day of Freedom and Independence while being raised to fight for those who were less fortunate than us.

---

when I was old enough, 13-14, my parents started to let Steve and I help out with bandaging wounds. The soldiers who could no longer fight were patched up and shipped back to the states. Most leaving had broken bones while others needed blood. something that was scarce out here and each soldier only got so much. I was sad to hear it was like that, but I understood why. The troops were fighting an unwinnable war and the likelihood of us coming home was slim to none.

---

December 26, 2002 was the day we lost my mom.

everything was going normal like it always was. we had just finished moving camp to a new location for security issues. My father was out in the field, mom had gone to work and brother and I were left to set up the new living courters.

About noon or so our boys in the air chased an enemy plane over our camp. Before they shot the pilot out of the sky he radioed a message to the other enemy air craft in the area. Minutes later the bombs started to fall. my mother got to our tent and got us out. A bomb fell behind our tent as we started to run to the safe zone. the explosion sent the three of us flying through air with the rubble.

When the bombs stopped falling my brother found be trapped under some rocks that formed a box around me. When he got me out I noticed he had a cut on his forehead. I took off what remained of my scarf and bandaged the wound then we went to find my mom... but we were to late.

when we found her she seemed ok. Steve and I got her to the safe zone but there was nothing the doctors could do.  My mom died at 7:47 pm.

---

my father was rushed home, well back to camp. he fell apart when he found out my mother had died. the first thing he did after he got it together was ship my brother and I off to his sisters, our aunt Trudy.

I didn't get to see my father much after that.