Chapter Four

"Well?" Trina asked.

They were sitting on the carpet in Trina's bedroom with their books open and with plates of sandwiches sitting beside them. Trina's mother had been insistent that they take a break and eat to keep their energy up. Instead of relaxing, Trina decided she needed gossip and Pia happily obliged.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." she said, taking a sip of her fruit smoothie that Trina's mother had made for them.

Trina inched closer. "Are you going to tell me why you won't go out with Ronit?"

Pia put down the glass carefully and closed her Physics textbook. "I have my reasons."

"Ronit is a great guy." Trina said. "He's been nothing but nice to you ever since seventh grade and you barely notice him."

Pia leaned her head against the wall. "I'm sure he is a nice guy."

"Then what's the problem?"

"We're in high school." Pia said in a matter of fact tone. "That's the problem."

"I don't get it." Trina said, taking a bite of her sandwich.

Pia leaned closer. "Look, I don't want to invest myself in a relationship that won't go anywhere. We're in high school and too young to know what we want. I don't want to waste my time going out with a guy I'm not going to end up with."

"That's ridiculous." Trina said. "There's no way any one of us can ever know the guy we're going to be with is the one we're going to marry."

"Maybe not." Pia said, pushing away her plate. "But how many couples do you know that have ended up together and happily married."

"Ronit isn't asking to marry you." Trina joked.

"I know." Pia blushed. "But I like the possibility of knowing there's a chance for a happily ever after."

"And you think you both are too immature to be in love." Trina said.

Pia nodded and picked up her textbook. "Exactly. Having boyfriends in high school is a waste of time. There's so much studying to do and colleges and careers to decide. Boyfriends are a distraction at the moment."

"Uh-huh." Trina said. "I don't agree with you. Besides, can you tell me with absolute certainty that Ronit isn't the guy you'll end up with? That he's not your 'soul-mate'?"

Pia picked up a pencil and underlined a sentence in her textbook without even reading it. "I don't know. But I do know that I don't want that all right now."

"Fair enough." Trina said, looking skeptical.

Pia stood up. "Let me go wash my face. I'm already sleepy and it's not even ten." She yawned.

"I'll ask mom to make us coffee." Trina said, getting up. "We'll study for another hour or so and then go to sleep and wake up early."

"Yup." Pia said.

Trina opened the door. "So your parents are okay with you having a sleepover?"

"It's a study-over." Pia said. "I couldn't stay another night in the house after what happened. I don't need the distraction. Just a few more papers, and then we'll have the holidays."

"Can't wait for that." Trina said and passed by her to go downstairs.

Pia turned left and headed over to the bathroom. She made her way to the sink and squirted some liquid soap into her palms. Looking at her reflection, she frowned and wished her face wouldn't look so puffy. The lack of sleep and studying hard was taking a toll on her skin and she spotted acne under her chin.

"Ugh!" she said and washed her hands. Then cupping them, she filled her palms with water and splashed her face.

The cool water refreshed her tired skin and heavy eyes. When she straightened and opened her eyes, Pia gasped.

Standing right behind her was him, staring at her with angry eyes. Pia turned slowly, her mouth dry and her skin chilling instantly.   

In the dim light, his skin was almost blackish, as if he had soot on his face, and he was wearing a black leather jacket that was torn in several places. He took a step forward and she heard the loud thump of his heavy boots.

Pia put her hands on the rim of the sink and pushed herself back. She was trapped and the spirit before her was inching closer, trapping her.

"I..." her mind went blank as she tried to recollect everything Trina had told her about ghosts and how to ward them off. "Go away." her voice was dry.

He didn't listen and she put her hands on her mouth and nose. The smell emitting from him was overpowering. It was as if something had burned until it had turned to ashes. She was finding it hard to breathe and pushed herself away from the sink and stood near the bathtub. There was a small window on the wall and she looked at it, contemplating opening it before the smell grew heavier and suffocated her.

She was about to reach it, when he suddenly appeared right before her and grabbed her wrist. The burning sensation prickled her skin and Pia let out a loud scream.

"Pia?" Trina asked, opening the door.

The ghost had gone. Pia blinked, trying to gain her senses and then rushed out of the bathroom.

"What was that?" Trina asked.

"He was here." Pia said, rushing into the room.

"Who? The ghost?"

Pia nodded and sat down on a chair with her hands clasped together.

"Oh, so he's attached to you." Trina said in a hollow voice.

"I want him to leave me alone." Pia said, aware she was shaking. 

Trina brought a blanket over and put it around her shoulders. Then sitting beside her, she took her hands. "What did you see? What did he show you?"

Pia took a deep breath. "When I felt his hands last night, they were freezing." She said. "Now, his hands were hot and..." she raised her wrist and saw a deep red mark around it. "He hurt me."

Trina went over to grab a bottle of lotion. "Here, apply this."

Pia didn't take it and put her arms around her to stop herself from shivering. "What does he want with me?"

"I don't know." Trina said, sitting back down again beside her.

"His clothes were burnt and he had soot on his face."

"Maybe that's how he died." Trina said. "If he's showing you these things, that means he is ready to deliver his message and move on."

"Then why did he hurt me?" she asked.

"He probably didn't mean it." Trina said in a soft voice.

"Could I speak to your Grandmother about this?" Pia asked. "I would feel better if I spoke to her."

"Okay." Trina said. "If it'll make you feel better."

"It will." Pia said, picking up her phone.