The Last Straw

"Wait, so you're telling me that you don't like Blake anymore?" Chloe asks me for the hundredth time. Sheesh. I've already told her everything that had happened last saturday with Me finding out about Blake's girlfriend, Alex. We were walking along the school hallway, headed outside.

"Yes, Chlo. For the bazillionth time, I don't like him anymore." I say as calmly as I could, trying to hide the annoyance in my voice.

Chloe nods absently. "So, who is Alex anyway?" 

"Blake's girlfriend." I mumble, "Didn't I already tell you this?" 

"Oh, right." Chloe giggles. I roll my eyes. 

"Do I seriously need to repeat everything to you a million times before you can get it inside your head?" I shake my head in dismay.

"It's just that," Chloe sighs. "I thought you and Blake would be perfect for eachother."

"At some point I thought we'd actually be a couple someday. But in the end I found out that he's my way of forgetting Ron and moving on with my life. I guess I was rushing everything, thinking that if I was with him, I'd just move on faster." I shrug.

"So, what are you going to do about Ron?" She asks. 

"Nothing. What else should I do? Maybe part of me liking Blake was all because I was jealous of Ron. Jealous that he already had a relationship and I didn't." I sigh.

As much as I wanted to deny it, everything I said was true. I am jealous that Ron moved on faster than I did. 

Chloe looks at me, shock evident on her face. "Did you just tell me that you're jealous of Ron?"

I nod. "I was, back then."

We were at the cafeteria, sitting in our usual table. 

"I'm amazed Ron and Erica are still together." Chloe bites her sandwich.

"Yeah, me too. Whatever's going on with them, I don't care." I say absently.

"You shouldn't. But anyway, how's Blake?" She smiles at me, clearly changing the subject.

"What do you mean?" I ask, confusion shining in my eyes.

"I mean, has he spoken to you?" Chloe was chewing on her food silently.

"Sure he has. A few nods and 'heys' when we passed eachother in the halls. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's acknowledging me as a friend. He's a nice guy. Totally not like all the other jerky jocks in this school." I smirk. 

"Well, I'm just glad you're finally okay and moving on." Chloe smiles radiantly.

"Me too." I grin.

Me and Chloe head for our lockers. It's what we always do after lunch. I was about to walk directly to my locker when I saw Ron and Erica doing what you might have already guessed they were doing. Making out . Again. Well one thing's for sure, I was not in the mood for this. 

I wasn't giving Ron the satisfaction of seeing me furious and pissed out by whatever disgusting thing he and Erica were doing. So I just walk passed them, put on my locker combo, grab my books, and slam the locker shut. I was about to leave when I changed my mind.

I wasn't letting Ron do this to me, so I stomped my way to both of them and crossed my arms. They had stopped sucking eachother's lips and turned to look at me, they're faces obviously startled. 

"I don't effing know what the both of you are trying to pull, but you know what? Screw you." I smirked and then stomped away. 

I must admit, It felt good to say that to both of their faces. All these time I've spent getting mad at both of them. And now, I'm as calm as the ocean breeze at night. Right now, I just don't give a fuck. I've had enough of this love game. And if Ron was smart, he'd never try to get in my way again. 

I spotted Chloe near her locker. I was just about to call her when some dude grabbed my arm. I turned around and saw Ron. He was panting from probably trying to catch up with my fast strides. What can you say? I'm fast when I'm pissed. 

"Ron, get your stinking hands off of me." I growl. 

He takes his hand off my arm, and looks at me, shame evident in his eyes, "Jess, look. We need to talk." I turn to face him. I wanted to say that I didn't want to talk to him at all. I didn't even want to be near him. But then I realized that I wasn't actually planning on hating my ex-boyfriend forever. So I decide that talking to him would actually be a good thing.

"What do you want?" I say in an exhausted tone. 

"Can we talk outside?" He asks me worriedly. 

I nod my head silently.

We make our way outside and finally talk.

"Look, I know you must hate me for what I've done..." His voice trails off. 

I just stare at him, refusing to say a word. 

Of course I'm mad at him. But I can never really say that I hated him. He was my boyfriend once. He used to be the sweetest, and friendliest guy I knew. How can you ever hate a person you onced loved so much? 

He stares back at me. Probably waiting for me to say something. But I remain quiet.

He continues, "Jess, I guess what I'm trying to say is that..." there was a pause before he said anything else, "I am so sorry." He finally blurts out. 

"I don't hate you." I say simply, "I just don't know why you had to go ahead and do all those crazy things to make me jealous. And don't even begin to deny it." I put my hands on my hips. I couldn't help it.

For a couple of seconds, he just stands there, staring at his feet like a 4 year-old being scolded by his mommy. 

I tap my foot impatiently. 

"Okay, I admit, I was stupid and a complete jerk to you," He slowly meets my eyes, "but, I guess I only did those things because I was mad at thought that I had broken up with you. And some lunatic part of my head told me that if I dated some other girl, you'd come running back to me. But believe me, I knew it was a bad idea the second I saw you flirting with Cooper. I know you'd never take me back, but I still love you. Yes, I know I'm an ass. But I just needed to tell you this. I can't stand the thought of me causing you so much trouble." 

"Well, you're right. I'm not taking you back." I cross my arms over my chest. "But that doesn't mean that I won't forgive you." I take a step forward and pull him into a hug. I heard him gasp a little bit.

Trust me, I was as shocked as you were. I never thought I'd hug Ron after everything he's done. But maybe its just because I can't bear the thought of hating him. People make mistakes. That means they deserve to be forgiven. And sure, things between us won't ever be the same again, but atleast we've cleared all the negative vibes in the air.

"Jess, thank you so much. For forgiving me." He says, almost inaudibly. 

We release eachother. "Well, I wasn't really planning on hating my ex-boyfriend forever." I smile at him, he smiles back. 

"You know, you really are amazing." He smirks. 

"Yeah, I know." I say teasingly. I punch him lightly on the shoulder as we went inside the school, side by side and smiling radiantly.