Chapter 3

I resisted the urge to wake up. As I slowly broke into conciousness I sobbed, alerting to Alex I was awake. He layed next to me, murmuring softly to me. "Shhh...You're alright, kitten." I buried my face in his t-shirt, soaking it with tears and no doubt smearing mascara. Memories of the night before crashed over me, my wounds throbbing. She'd gone after me with a belt. The sound of metal loops breaking off onto me and falling to the floor emanated in my ears.

"No, no, no, no, no." I repeated, over and over. She'd been drunk. That's why she'd done it. Intoxication. She'd never do that to me sober.

I suddenly remembered her face. Angry. Not drunk. Angry over Alex. Screaming in rage.

"Alyssa, calm down, honey." Alex tried to get me to look at him and I bolted out of bed, running for the bathroom. I had to see. I had to know it wasn't a dream. Alex caught me in the hall, restraining me.

"I have to see, dammit!" I snarled at him. 

"No, Alyssa. You don't." 

"Yes! I do!" I ripped out of his grasp, sprinting for the bathroom again. I stopped in front of the wall mirror, breathing hard. I could see bruising around my jaw, running down my arms. Large red welts were running down my arms and sides. I took a deep breath and slowly unbuttoned my jeans. Blood had clotted against the denim, making me wince in pain as I slowly stripped the things off. Tears welled in my eyes as I saw my thighs and hips. Alternating bruises and gashes on my pale skin. The gashes were a horrible red color, even though the blood was dried. 

Alex stood in the doorway, his eyes unfathomable. I turned to him, unaware I was only in a pair of panties. My only concern was my wounds. 

"I should've been there sooner." He said quietly.

"Alex, I was almost unconcious when you showed up." I replied.

"I should've been there sooner." He said again, leaning against the bathroom counter.

My gaze wandered back to the mirror, shuddering. "I don't think it would've made much of a difference."

"I could've stopped her." He glared at his hands, now clenched into fists.

I walked over and unclenched his hands, kissing each one of them before staring at him. His eyes were tortured and I set one of my hands on his cheek. "You showed up. That's all that matters."

He nodded and I kissed him deeply. "I love you."

"As I love you." He replied, smiling slightly.

The lights suddenly went out. I looked around, not having much for night vision. Alex took my hand. "The storm. Let's get you into some different clothes."

I followed him into a spare bedroom, my eyes slowly adjusting. He handed me my favorite pair of jeans and a corset tanktop, turning around so I could change. I was lacing up my combat boots over the jeans when we heard the back door slam shut. I froze, rigid. Alex handed me my 45 caliber pistol I had for emergencies and shifted, his were form bristling at my feet.

I unclicked the safety and slowly exited the room, my eyes sharp to anything out of the ordinary. I could hear nothing over the storm, lightning briefly illuminating the room. A familiar male voice broke the silence.

"You look wonderful, Alyss."

I spun and leveled my gun with Nero's chest. "What the hell do you want."

He smiled, his purple eyes glowing. "It's not what I want. It's what the Other's want."

"What do you mean?" I demanded. Alex was growling, his hackles raised.

"The Other are searching desperately for you."

"What would they want with me?" He glanced pointedly at my gun and I laughed. "After the last time I saw you you're lucky you don't have a few bullets in your chest already."

"Fair enough." He ran a hand through his messy brown hair and glanced at Alex. "They want you. I don't know why. I didn't stick around to hear why. I'm here to warn you. Run. Your mother didn't always tell you the truth."

"Goodbye, Nero."

"Here," he handed me a cell phone and I took it. "There's only one number in there and it's mine. When you're safe and when I know more I will contact you."

"How soon do I have to leave." I asked, glancing out at the storm.

 "You have ten minutes before they find out you're here." Nero said. I glanced back at him and he was gone.