Chapter 24

Alright, this is the last chapter! I can't believe it! Enjoy!

Chapter 24

It was the morning of June 25th. The Argo II had just crossed into the state of California. Leo and Jason expected to arrive at Camp Jupiter by the next afternoon.

Annabeth was on the ship’s deck, looking across the horizon. Jason and Piper were drinking glasses of lemonade while sitting on one of the sets of stairs. Leo was explaining something about mechanics to Coach Hedge, who was listening intently.

Annabeth was about to head below deck when her left shoulder was suddenly overwrought with pain. “Ahhh,” she yelped, clutching her shoulder.

“Annabeth, are you alright,” Piper asked, concerned, but Annabeth only answered by shaking her head as she sunk down the side of the ship and was sitting on the floor. “Annabeth, look at me. What’s going on?” Piper looked over her shoulder. “Hedge, get over here!”

Gleeson Hedge was then in front of Annabeth. He kept asking her what happened, if there was anything that she did to throw out her shoulder when she was fixing the ship’s engine. Annabeth couldn’t form a response, so she just shook her head.

“Jason, Leo, take her to her cot. I don’t know what’s going on, but let’s get her in bed. Piper, get some nectar and ambrosia.”

“Aye, aye Cap’n,” Leo muttered. Then, he and Jason worked together to get Annabeth below the deck.

Once Annabeth was alone, still eating some ambrosia, she carefully lifted her shirt from her left shoulder and winced as she did so. With her shirt off of that shoulder, Annabeth looked at it and gasped.

The scar from Ethan Namakura’s knife was still there. That was normal and Annabeth hadn’t expected that scar to go away. Then, there was the Mark. The one thing that wasn’t normal; the gift from her mother, Athena.

The skin where the Mark was located was swollen and inflamed. Annabeth poked it and winced again from the surge of pain she experienced.

Annabeth then put her shirt back on and put her head on her pillow. Tears strolled down her face as she went fell asleep.

Annabeth was standing on the Argo II with Piper, Jason, Leo, Percy, Hazel, Nico’s sister, and the Chinese boy she has seen in her dreams before. They were all dressed in their battle amour, weapons at the ready.

“You aren’t going to make it, Daughter of Athena. You and all of your friends will die.”

The image of a sleeping mountain then clouded Annabeth’s dream.

“Get ready Annabeth, get ready,” her mother’s voice echoed.

Annabeth woke with a start. Immediately, she was remembering what she saw in her dream: Percy, the other campers, Gaea, Percy, her mother’s warning, and Percy.

She couldn’t shake her mind off of Percy. She was so close to him. All she had to do was get to the camp and make friends with the Romans. Then, the demigods in the prophecy will defeat Gaea, and she and Percy will be with each other forever.

Annabeth smiled at her thoughts. She enjoyed thinking of her future with Percy. In truth, Annabeth thought multiple times that she and Percy would get married and live in New York City together, raising their children.

Annabeth snapped out of her thoughts when she heard someone knocking on her door.

“Annabeth,” a voice called. “It’s Piper. We’re about an hour away from the camp.” She opened the door. “I see you’re awake. How are you feeling?”

Annabeth rotated her left shoulder and was able to do it with little pain. “It’s better.”

Piper smiled. “That’s great! Do you know what happened to it?”

“No,” she lied.

“Cool, so when you get dressed, meet us on the deck, okay?”

“Got it,” she said before Piper left.

Once Annabeth was dressed, she went up to the deck and stood on the side of the ship. She saw Leo taping a message to Camp Jupiter, asking them to not shoot the Argo II down when he tried to land the ship. Piper was chanting something about putting weapons down and not killing those on the ship when they get off. Jason was standing around, probably thinking that he was headed back to his home.

Annabeth just stood there, basking in the thought that they were almost there. She would find Percy, hopefully alive, and they’d be together. After all of these months, they would be together again.

Unless of course, Percy never made it to Camp Jupiter and died instead. Or the Romans killed him when he entered the camp. Or maybe Percy didn’t even remember her and started dating someone else at camp.

“Argh,” she sighed as she rested her head in her hands. “Of course he’s going to remember me, he loves me. Why am I freaking out so much? Ugh, I miss him so much!”

“You know, he’d be an idiot if he got together with some other girl at this camp,” a voice behind her said. Annabeth turned to see that it was Leo.

Annabeth smiled. “Thanks Leo.”

“I mean it. You’re really nice and you’re a loyal person. Anyone would be lucky to date you, most of all Percy Jackson. And you’re really pretty too, which makes it all the more reason that he’d be stupid to forget about you.”

Annabeth opened her arms and hugged Leo. When she let go, she said, “I mean it, thank you.”

“Eh, don’t worry about it. It’s the truth. But now I gotta go and get the ship ready to land.”

“Okay,” she said and then he walked back to where the wheel was located.

Sure enough, within the hour, the Argo II landed in Camp Jupiter. Annabeth noticed that there was a large amount of campers watching the arrival of the mysterious Greek heroes. Annabeth scanned the crowd for him, but she didn’t see him yet.

Then she saw him. He looked like she saw him yesterday. He had the same black hair, the same green eyes that she always used to get lost in, and the same tall and muscular figure.

But why was he wearing a purple toga?

“He got elected praetor,” Jason answered next to her. “It was my old job here. It’s kind of like being a cabin counselor.”

Annabeth nodded in acknowledgement. Leo shouted something about the ship being fully landed and that they could get off as soon as possible.

“Are you ready for this Annabeth,” Jason quizzed.

“I’ve been ready since Hera took him from me.”

“Alright, then let’s get this show on the road.”

The gates of the Argo II were then opened and Annabeth walked down the steps and into Camp Jupiter.

Percy was standing in the front of the group next to Hazel and the Chinese boy. Without thinking, Annabeth burst into a run and quickly embraced him into a hug.

“Oh Percy, I missed you so much,” she said in between sobs.

“I know Annabeth, I missed you too,” he said, and Annabeth noticed that his voice seemed a bit different. Older, perhaps.

“I love you,” she said.

“I love you too,” he said and then he placed his lips on hers.

For a moment, it seemed that Annabeth’s dreams for the future could come true.

The End

I can't believe that this story is over! I hope you liked it. I'll keep you all updated if I choose to write another PJO story. (I have a slight idea of Annabeth, Luke, and Thalia when they were on the run).

Anyway, thanks for reading this story!!!