Chapter 2

Chapter 2

            The shrill sound of my alarm woke me up at 6:30 the next morning. For a moment I forgot about the events of last night, my Dad thinking I’m totally nuts and Bloody Mary. But only for a moment, then all the memories came down on me like a tidal wave.

            “I think we should make an appointment with Dr. Benzer in the morning,” Dad had said.

            “Dad, please, no. I told you I’m fine I’m just tired,” I pleaded not wanting to relive all those sessions with Dr. Benzer when he helped me grieve Mom.

            “He can help you,” Dad insisted.

            “But, Dad, I’m not seeing Mom again,” I cried. Just thinking about her made my throat tighten. I choked back tears.

            “Ella, we’ll talk about this in the morning,” Dad said, using his name for me when I was a little kid. He only used it now when he was really worried about me. He went off to bed.

            I got out of bed and put on jeans and a long sleeve v-neck top. I headed to the kitchen and poured myself a bowl of cereal.

            “Good morning,” Dad said kissing the top of my head.

            “Morning,” I replied. I practically inhaled my breakfast so I could get out of the house as fast as possible and avoid talking about Dr. Benzer.

            “Ella, can we talk?” Dad asked.

            “Not right now, Dad. I’m off to school,” I said and whizzed out the door before he had a chance to respond.

            I was really early for the bus, so I had a lot of time to think about what the hell I was going to do about Bloody Mary. I was obviously the only one capable of seeing her, but why? Why did everyone act as if she was invisible? And why was she covered in blood? I wasn’t sure what she wanted, but I decided that it was best for my sanity and everyone else’s if I ignored her. I would just pretend like there wasn’t a crazy woman covered in blood (that only I could see) asking for my help.

            The bus finally came and I got on and sat in my usual spot in the back. Two stops after mine was Travis’s. He got on and sat down beside me.

            “Hey,” he said flashing me that wonderful white smile of his.

            “Hey,” I said smiling back. He put his arm over my shoulders.

            “I was wondering if you wanted to come to a party at John’s house tonight,” he whispered in my ear. John, Travis’s best friend, threw the biggest parties and his biggest was the end of the year party, which was apparently tonight.

            “Sure, sounds like fun,” I said. He grinned.

            When we got to school my best friend was waiting for me by the front doors.

            “Hey, Kristie,” I said. She smiled at me.

            “What?” I asked.

            “Guess who just asked me out to John’s party!” she said barely containing her excitement.

            “Josh Ramsay?” I asked smiling.

            “You make it impossible to be excited. It was Drake!” she squealed. Drake and Kristie both really liked each other and Kristie has been waiting, impatiently, forever for him to ask her out. I guess he finally grew some balls and made the first move.